Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Can video montage be made in Blender?

Mike.R

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:18 am
I know After effects can do that
but i do not have money to buy AE
so, i want to know if i can use Blender to do that

CoDEmanX

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:07 pm
you can use the video sequence editor (VSE), here's a nice blog:

http://blendervse.wordpress.com/

Mike.R

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:20 pm
CoDEmanX wrote:
you can use the video sequence editor (VSE), here's a nice blog:

http://blendervse.wordpress.com/

thanks a lot
you are so nice Very Happy

Timmmm

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:30 pm
I'm not sure it will be so easy. I'm trying to do a "montage" or two videos next to each other. There are two main issues:

1. There's no option to preserve the aspect ratio of the input video. Blender always rescales the video to fit the output size. Pretty damn annoying! You *can* disable blender's transformations by enabling "crop" or "offset" in the input options (you can leave the values at 0) but then scaling is completely disabled, so it won't even enlarge it to fill the height/width.

2. It seems that even if you use the crop/offset functions so the video doesn't fill the screen, it will just set those pixels to black, rather than transparent. So no matter what you can only see one video at a time.

1 is reasonably easy to work around with the transformation effect. I haven't found a way around 2 yet. I guess 2 is a bug, and 1 is an inexplicably missing feature - there should just be an "input aspect ratio" option where you can choose the input aspect ratio (also useful for anamorphic or broken videos).

Timmmm

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:33 pm
Actually, you can work around 2 in a hacky way: make sure your videos don't overlap at all, then select them all, and add an "Add" effect.

Mike.R

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:45 pm
Timmmm wrote:
Actually, you can work around 2 in a hacky way: make sure your videos don't overlap at all, then select them all, and add an "Add" effect.

I greatly appreciate your kindness
But since my English is so poor, I want to ask that is the "overlap" here the common means? or the mean in technical term?

stiv

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:13 am
Create an array of Planes and put your videos on them as Video Textures. Then render the whole mess.

Jump to: