Cylinder with Holes in Top Face

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

rgutierrez

Cylinder with Holes in Top Face

Postby rgutierrez » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Hello -

I'm looking to create a cylinder with several holes in the top face. I tried subdividing the top face to be able to remove holes to convert to round holes. However, only the edges around the top face are subdivided. The face itself is not.

I also tried using bezier circles to create a round face with holes (more bezier circles) inside. But, I didn't get very far with that because I didn't know how to turn the entire object into a face. I figured I could somehow join this created face with the top edge (top face removed) of my cylinder. I'm not sure if this is possible.

I also thought about creating a grid in the top face of my cylinder to remove square holes to convert to round, but this seems very tedious. There has to be an easier way.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

RG

joaclint

Postby joaclint » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:25 pm

You must use Add/Curve/Circle and then, in Objet Mode duplicate vértices to get another circle.. scale...
Then go to Curve panel and Extrude, put 2D...
Luck!

rgutierrez

Postby rgutierrez » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks. Not sure what I'm missing.

I tried the instructions above, as well as the instructions in this post:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... ing-curves

For some reason, when I create concentric circles using bezier circles, I can't convert the circles to a single face with holes in it, in order to extrude. Each circle converts to a face individually, but they don't automatically form one face, as the example suggests they should.

Any other suggestions? Also, I've watched several tutorials, but I haven't been able to figure this feature out based on the ones I've watched.

rgutierrez

Postby rgutierrez » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:13 pm

rgutierrez wrote:Thanks. Not sure what I'm missing.

I tried the instructions above, as well as the instructions in this post:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... ing-curves

For some reason, when I create concentric circles using bezier circles, I can't convert the circles to a single face with holes in it, in order to extrude. Each circle converts to a face individually, but they don't automatically form one face, as the example suggests they should.

Any other suggestions? Also, I've watched several tutorials, but I haven't been able to figure this feature out based on the ones I've watched.

Okay, I think I got it. So, I created a bezier circle and set it to 2D, like your reply suggested (sort of). Then, I added the next bezier circle and it created a hole.

joaclint

Postby joaclint » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:21 pm

I recorded this video for you while you got it. Anyway here it is :)
http://youtu.be/wt0HKf6oD50

bill2reg

Postby bill2reg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:37 pm

Couldn't you just place smaller cylinders in the face where you want holes, and then just use the boolean modifier with 'difference"? After you apply it, you can delete the cylinders. If you want several holes, join all the smaller cylinders into one object to use as the boolean object, so you can do it all it one operation.

rgutierrez

Postby rgutierrez » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:21 pm

joaclint wrote:I recorded this video for you while you got it. Anyway here it is :)
http://youtu.be/wt0HKf6oD50

Sweet! Thanks. What did you use to record that?

rgutierrez

Postby rgutierrez » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:22 pm

bill2reg wrote:Couldn't you just place smaller cylinders in the face where you want holes, and then just use the boolean modifier with 'difference"? After you apply it, you can delete the cylinders. If you want several holes, join all the smaller cylinders into one object to use as the boolean object, so you can do it all it one operation.

Yeah, I thought about using boolean modifiers, but I heard it wasn't as clean as using bezier circles. I'm working on an object to print, so I want to be sure the design is as clean as possible.

bill2reg

Postby bill2reg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:49 pm

OK. I just thought it might be an easier way to do it. Have you actually tried it? It might be fine for your project. Anyway, always good to have options.
Good luck with your creation!

rgutierrez

Postby rgutierrez » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:06 pm

bill2reg wrote:OK. I just thought it might be an easier way to do it. Have you actually tried it? It might be fine for your project. Anyway, always good to have options.
Good luck with your creation!

I agree. I'm actually trying to use boolean modifiers to make different holes in my design, to try it out. Thanks for the tip!

joaclint

Postby joaclint » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:41 pm

@rgutierrez: I use kdenlive (in Kubuntu) to make recordings. There are verisón for Linux, FreeBSD and Mac.

earthling

Postby earthling » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:14 am

Hi, I'm struggling with the same problem.

I can make the second circle but 1.) I can't see it when it's on top of the first circle b/c (unlike in the video) the circles are the same color (grey).

2.) When I try to extrude only one circle responds, the other stays flat.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

Thanks.
:)

Return to “Interface & Tools”