Crashing and alot of other problems

Postby m121c » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Okay well I just built my new pc no more than a week ago. The specs are this:

AMD FX 8120 8-core 3.1GHZ cpu
AMD Radeon HD 7870 2gb
16gb (8gbx2)
Gigabyte 970A-DS3 Motherboard
Windows 7 64-bit

First thing I did when I got my computer started is fully updates windows and downloaded all my latest drivers for my graphics card and mother board. I also checked all my temps and my computer seemed to be in working order.

I only get a certain amount of time in blender and then it crashes. I don't get a error or anything it just makes my screen go blank. I have had it where the screen is white, grey, black, and the most recent time it was grey with black lines. I was told its my openGL crashing? I'm not for sure how to fix this if this is the problem so I decided to ask around. This problem happens everytime I open blender for more than a few minutes.

Also I'm not that new to blender. I have used it on my previous laptop and I even have a portable version on my flash drive so I can use it in school. I've never had this problem but here it is: I can't right click to select a object. It just won't work. I have to press A to select all objects and then I can select the object I want. Also pressing C and selecting the origin point works.

Other problems: Box select will not work

If I want to move along a certain axis (X, Y, Z) and I just click on the arrow it won't work. When I click I get this little red circle that follows my cursor (I don't know the name of it at the moment).

If I am in edit mode and I press C for circle select and I start selecting vertices it will select multiple vertices that aren't even close to the ones I am selecting. They are selected at random to.

If anyone can help me with all these problems I would appreciate it. I'm just about to give up and download 3ds Max. I don't want to have to learn the program but blender is giving me no choice.

Thanks.

stiv

Postby stiv » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:08 pm

The selection problems are likely from having Full Screen Anti-Aliasing (FSAA) turned on. This messes with the Z buffer. Turn it off.

The crashing may be due to your video driver. Usual fixes are

* update/roll back driver using card manufacturer's version

* play with Window Draw Mode in User-Prefs

* sometimes it helps to turn down hardware acceleration in your comp's Display settings.

Return to “Interface & Tools”