ms3D importer/exporter not working

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

sopothetocho

ms3D importer/exporter not working

Postby sopothetocho » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:37 pm

Hello

I have installed an ms3d extension and it doesnt work. When I try to import a ms3d file blender crashes, I tried installing the x64 version of blender and it doesnt work either.

May be related but when I installed the extension the console said:
<¡> Event has invalid window

I need it so I can convert a .x model into Autodesk .FBX (Milkshape .FBX exporter doesnt work very well) with animations and everything for a game engine

Im using win 7 x64
Blender 2.65a x64 and x32
This is the extension:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Exten ... ape3D_MS3D
Im using milkshape 1.8.4 like the extensions information says.

Unrelated to the extension: I also tried importing the .x file directly with an older version of Blender (2.49b) didnt work either, the result was a blank screen, no model no bones no animations no nothing.

Thank you in advance.

sopothetocho

Re: ms3D importer/exporter not working

Postby sopothetocho » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:37 pm

sopothetocho wrote:Hello

I have installed an ms3d extension and it doesnt work. When I try to import a ms3d file blender crashes, I tried installing the x64 version of blender and it doesnt work either.

May be related but when I installed the extension the console said:
<¡> Event has invalid window

I need it so I can convert a .x model into Autodesk .FBX (Milkshape .FBX exporter doesnt work very well) with animations and everything for a game engine

Im using win 7 x64
Blender 2.65a x64 and x32
This is the extension:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Exten ... ape3D_MS3D
Im using milkshape 1.8.4 like the extensions information says.

Unrelated to the extension: I also tried importing the .x file directly with an older version of Blender (2.49b) didnt work either, the result was a blank screen, no model no bones no animations no nothing.

Thank you in advance.

Retested the extension: It actually works! it just takes forever to import the model (20min!).

My bad. This thread may be closed now.

beta-tester
Location: orion-cygnus arm, local solar system, earth, europe, germany, ..., here

Re: ms3D importer/exporter not working

Postby beta-tester » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:04 pm

sopothetocho wrote:Retested the extension: It actually works! it just takes forever to import the model (20min!).

My bad. This thread may be closed now.

hello, can you please provide me the ms3d file and the blend file, so that i can take a look to it...

stiv

Postby stiv » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:08 am

The maintainer of the Collada importer just made a fix there that reduced the import time for a big file from 40 minutes to around 40 seconds.

The issue was that a DAG update function was being called for every object add, instead of once at the end. It is possible that something similar is going on here.

beta-tester
Location: orion-cygnus arm, local solar system, earth, europe, germany, ..., here

Postby beta-tester » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:36 pm

stiv wrote:The maintainer of the Collada importer just made a fix there that reduced the import time for a big file from 40 minutes to around 40 seconds.

The issue was that a DAG update function was being called for every object add, instead of once at the end. It is possible that something similar is going on here.

thank you for telling me... saves me a lot of time ;)

monkage

Postby monkage » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:24 am

stiv wrote:The maintainer of the Collada importer just made a fix there that reduced the import time for a big file from 40 minutes to around 40 seconds.

I have the same problem with an importer I wrote. Do you know what the fix was, or maybe you can point me to the relevant repo?

I have not been able to figure out how to avoid the DAG update, so if there's a way to do it in the importer, please let me know!

stiv

Postby stiv » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:58 pm

Most importers process the objects from a file in a loop. The standard trick is to pull things that only need to be done once out of the loop and do them afterwards (or before).

In the case of Collada, the importer was doing a DAG update for each object. This is an expensive task that involves stepping thru the entire Blender database. Doing this once at the end saved a huge amount of time and cpu cycles.

Return to “Interface & Tools”