Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon New graphics card (upgrade) & cycles

JOHNs3D

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:05 pm
Good day…
Last spring I installed the new version of blender on my laptop and discovered the new cycles render engine.
(The laptop is a couple of years old but does have Windows 7 but was also at the bottom of the price range and cycles does not seem to render as rapidly on the laptop as it appeared to do in the online tutorial)
Now it is time to upgrade my desktop. However, what research I have been able to do into the graphics cards has not provided me with much help as to what to select.
Can anyone tell me if there is any specific graphics card (or possibly two) within the selection currently available that performs best when rendering using cycles? (Or best supports cycles)
And if there is not one particular card that works best with cycles then do the cards that are classified as workstation work better than the alternatives?
Also, is there a card that will performs best with cycles among the 3-D graphics cards?
Someone in one of the stores that carries 3-D monitors told me that there were special graphics cards required to use those monitors. But somebody else told me that there is no such thing is just software required. I have been unable to find any additional information to indicate which one of those two people were right, and therefore I asked about the 3-D card in case she was someone who was right.
Also, does blender have the capacity to output to the file format that is necessary for use with those 3-D monitors? Blender be used to produce that kind of 3-D movie and can sex movies be recorded to blue Ray discs for distribution? Or is that a process that Hollywood has reserved for itself? (I have looked at some of the older Posts, but that are about hardware that people already have rather than what to upgrade to.) … John

stiv

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:39 am
nVidia cards are better supported at this time. They list some stats on their website for CUDA (what cycles uses) performance so you can get an idea of the bang for the bucks.

Jump to: