IK and self collision

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

aws357

IK and self collision

Postby aws357 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:20 am

What I am asking might be a silly question, but does anyone ever tried making a snake using ik, and implement self collision detection?

Because a snake curls, it might collide with himself...

:roll: I was wondering if there was some plugins in blender that allow to do such things...

I was thinking it would be useful too for people modeling chains (I have some idea of BDSM kind of characters with chains...)

8) Thanks for reading a silly question.

an-toni

Postby an-toni » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:37 pm

have you tried snaky stuff with b-bones btw?

~Toni

aws357

Postby aws357 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:13 pm

Well I tried. Although not for fun, but for some research (Ooh well, both for research and for fun... ), on DNA structures named as "mini-circles".

Using IK and b-bones can be surprisingly close to real mechanical movement of DNA.

I would have pushed the test further but :
-IK doesn't retain more than 360° rotation (snap back to 0 after a round)
-And I tried crossing 2 DNA strands but there doesn't seems to be collision detection

:roll: but right now, I am having fun with modeling a character (the one in the WIP) and adding chains to the character would be fun, except that animating that stuff would certainly be quite a sweat.

Using pure dynamic would be costly. I am thinking of blending dynamic and IK (gravity influencing the goal, and nothing else) but there still is the problem of chain colliding each other.

Hence the question.

zoli

Postby zoli » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:49 am

Hi there!

Has anybody found a solution for the IK self-collision problem?
I also would like to model a snake-like object that consists of several segments, and I would like to detect if the segments intersects.
The segments are rigid bodies that are bound to an armature. The pose of the armature is calculated by the IK solver.
I can detect collisions of each segment with external objects, but with the other segments not. If I duplicate a segment and use it outside the armature - as an external object - it is working too: collision is detected.
So the problem can be that the segments bound to the armature are not considered as separate objects, thus no collision is detected.
What is the solution for this problem? I use Blender v2.65.

Return to “Animation”