Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Keyframing object layers weirdness

guy lateur

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:45 pm
[blender 2.65.0 on 64-bit win7]

Hi all,

I'm trying to animate my scene by having various objects appearing and disappearing in the scene at various times/frames. In a previous post on this forum, someone suggested keyframing the layer(s) the object belongs to (under object -> relations properties). If you have a layer which isn't rendered, then, if an object is moved to this layer, the object effectively disappears from the scene -- which is what I want.

So I select my object, go to frame 1, put the object in layer 1 and keyframe all the layers. I then move to frame 2, put the object in layer 2 and keyframe all the layers. The weird thing is that, when switching between frame 1 and 2, my viewport doesn't reflect this keyframed 'layer-changing', unless I use rendered viewport shading (I'm using cycles).

So it appears that the keyframing of the layers does work, because the expected behaviour is observed when in rendered mode. Furthermore, looking at the object -> relation layer properties while switching frames, they also reflect the animated changes. But I don't understand why this animation is not reflected in the viewport when using any shading mode other than rendered (like solid, or wireframe or so). It just stays in one of the 2 layers (probably the last one it was moved to).

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks,
g

sunseeker

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm
guy lateur wrote:
[blender 2.65.0 on 64-bit win7]

Hi all,

I'm trying to animate my scene by having various objects appearing and disappearing in the scene at various times/frames. In a previous post on this forum, someone suggested keyframing the layer(s) the object belongs to (under object -> relations properties). If you have a layer which isn't rendered, then, if an object is moved to this layer, the object effectively disappears from the scene -- which is what I want.

So I select my object, go to frame 1, put the object in layer 1 and keyframe all the layers. I then move to frame 2, put the object in layer 2 and keyframe all the layers. The weird thing is that, when switching between frame 1 and 2, my viewport doesn't reflect this keyframed 'layer-changing', unless I use rendered viewport shading (I'm using cycles).

So it appears that the keyframing of the layers does work, because the expected behaviour is observed when in rendered mode. Furthermore, looking at the object -> relation layer properties while switching frames, they also reflect the animated changes. But I don't understand why this animation is not reflected in the viewport when using any shading mode other than rendered (like solid, or wireframe or so). It just stays in one of the 2 layers (probably the last one it was moved to).

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks,
g

I'm also loosing my head on this.
I have a very bad feeling: in version 2.66 I have troubles to keyframe layer changes (no more the easy "INSERT KEYFRAME" option on the right click panel). Will they remove this feature?
As a workaround, I put the object far away... but it's not cool.

guy lateur

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:32 pm
There's a quite recent thread about this on blenderartists.org, too: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?253538-Change-layer-visibility-in-Blender-2-63

Unfortunately, it doesn't (yet) provide an answer to our question, either, though you might want to check it out.

guy lateur

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:41 pm
I guess we can mark this thread as solved. See the afore mentioned thread on blenderartists.org.

In short: don't animate the layer(s) an object belongs to. If you want an object to (dis/re) appear in your scene/render, go to the outliner, and animate the objects visibility (eye icon) and/or renderability (camera icon).

Thanks to Richard Marklew for elaborating on this.

DalePaq

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:02 pm
Animating an object's visibility in the outliner panel is easy - but what I hope to do is replace a single object with a duplicate which has been cell fractured into hundreds of pieces. Animating the visibility of these is just too much. Is there a way to animate visibility for many objects in this scenario?

guy lateur

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:05 pm
DalePaq wrote:
Animating an object's visibility in the outliner panel is easy - but what I hope to do is replace a single object with a duplicate which has been cell fractured into hundreds of pieces. Animating the visibility of these is just too much. Is there a way to animate visibility for many objects in this scenario?

I suppose you could write a python script that automates the keyframing for you. For example, see here: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?237761-Blender-2-6-Set-keyframes-using-Python-script

Btw, although this is not really obvious if you're new to these forums (as we are), I think you're supposed to ask these kind of (user-centric) questions on blenderartists.org's forums, rather then here. The blender.org forums are primarily for 'developer-centric' questions. Anybody feel free to correct me if this is wrong.

DalePaq

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:20 am
Not sure if this belongs in another forum, there seems to be a whole different set for developers.

I found the answer of how to key the visibility of large numbers of objects. Select just one of them and key its visibility on or off in the outliner panel. To do this, place current time indicator in time line on desired frame, set eyeball on, hover cursor over eyeball and press I. Advance one frame, set eyeball off, hover cursor and press I again. The visibility of this one object then turns off at that frame when the animation is played. Now in 3D view, select all of the objects, make the animated visibility object the active selection, press Ctrl+L, and select animation data. This apparently copies the two keyframes made on the active object to all the others. Play the animation now and they all disappear together.

Jump to: