Equivalent of a switch object

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

minghia

Postby minghia » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:37 am

I'm planning to use the models I generate in OpenSceneGraph but I want to have certain features that get turned on and off programatically, like lights or rotating parts. What is the way that you do this in blender or is this something that isn't possible currently?

brasshat

Postby brasshat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:47 am

Yes, it is possible to have switch objects in Blender. They can be achieved in a number of ways, the determination of which way to accomplish what you want being dependent upon details of the objects, how they are to be used, and in what platform you plan to use them. You've no given me enough information that I am able to make a recommendation as to what way would work best.

For an introduction to animation, try the on-line course at http://www.cdschools.org/Page/455, where chapter 9 ff deal with animation techniques. If you are new to Blender, I would not recommend starting with chapter 9; rather I'd take the time to work through the book to reach the chapter, so you will have a good ground upon which to understand chapter 9.,

ns

minghia

Postby minghia » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:43 am

Basically we have a naval simulator with some existing models that were developed with MultiGen. Some of the models were ships which had a rotating radar antenna or possibly navigation lights turned on or off by the running program. Alternatively we model gun muzzle flashes as a geometry that is turned on and then turned off at some time shortly after. Currently our models are in OpenFlight format as we are still using Performer in our simulator. The conversion isn't a problem as there are open source tools to do this job.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

brasshat

Postby brasshat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:26 pm

The rotating radar antenna, rotating gun turrets, and possibly similar objects would be animated the same way, by parenting them to another object annd setting up an anmation using key frames. I don't have the skillset with your game engine orother mechanisms ov animation in Blender to speak to your other issues, so I'll leave those to others who might be.

ns

Return to “Interface & Tools”