Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Build error for Mac OSX 10.5.8

philrogo

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:01 am
Hello -- As there's no official Blender 2.65 for OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard) I followed the video here [http://vimeo.com/16190129] and the wiki to try and build my own version... without success!

I successfully downloaded the Blender SVN and darwin-9.x.universal files from Blender.org, and the relevent Xcode tools (3.1.4) from Apple.

When I entered this at the prompt in Terminal:

python scons/scons.py j3

it started building briefly, then came to a stop. Here's the extract from terminal that shows the SVN update, and the location of my Blender and Darwin folders...

Updated to revision 54398.
PhilipsMacBookPro:blender-build phil$ ls
blender darwin-9.x.universal
PhilipsMacBookPro:blender-build phil$ cd blender/
PhilipsMacBookPro:blender phil$ python scons/scons.py -j3
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Command-line arguments
No command-line arguments given
Command-line targets
No targets given, using default
Using config file: build_files/scons/config/darwin-config.py
Using user-config file: user-config.py
Build with parallel jobs: 3
Build with debug symbols: False
Detected Xcode version: -- 3.1 --
Available Mac OS X SDKs:
Mac OS X 10.4 -sdk macosx10.4
Mac OS X 10.5 -sdk macosx10.5

Auto-setting available MacOSX SDK -> MacOSX10.7.sdk
3D_CONNEXION_CLIENT_LIBRARY not found, disabling WITH_BF_3DMOUSE
JackOSX install not found, disabling WITH_BF_JACK

Missing: Python.h and/or pyconfig.h in "#../lib/darwin-9.x.universal/python/include/python3.3m"
Set 'BF_PYTHON_INC' to point to valid include path(s),
containing Python.h and pyconfig.h for Python version "3.3".

Example: python scons/scons.py BF_PYTHON_INC=../Python/include

Is there a conflict between the Python version I have on my Mac: Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, May 5 2011, 18:37:34)
[GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)] on darwin,
and the version of Python used to build Blender 2.65?
I've seen the same question posed and unanswered on the weblink to the video I posted above.
This is the first time I've had the guts to try Terminal, so I'm not sure how to carry out the instruction: Set 'BF_PYTHON_INC' to point to valid include path(s),
containing Python.h and pyconfig.h for Python version "3.3".

The files described as Missing:
Python.h and/or pyconfig.h in "#../lib/darwin-9.x.universal/python/include/python3.3m"
are actually inside that directory!

Any help greatly appreciated. -- phil.

stiv

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:16 am
New Blender needs Python 3.3 source in order to build.

If there is not a package for your platform, you can get the source at python.org .

philrogo

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:01 pm
Thanks Stiv. Do you have time to point me somewhere where I can learn what to write in Terminal to direct my Mac to use Python 3.3 to build Blender?
Cheers -- phil.

stiv

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:07 pm
Sorry for the slow reply.

First, you will need the source code for Python 3.3

Second, you need to set the paths for your build system. You can do this via the command line or by creating a user-config.py file with the necessary parts (or the whole thing!) from the darwin-config.py file in the .../build_files/scons/config dir. The user-config.py should be at the same level as the SConstruct file. See doc/build_systems/scons.txt for more details.

If you get BF_PYTHON pointing to the path to your python source, you should be good - unless there is some OSX quirkyness (hah!). In that case, you may need to set BF_PYTHON_INC to where the Python.h file is located.

Jamini

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:29 pm
Hey, any luck? I'm starting down that path to try and generate ppc version (if possible)... I'd love to know any tips you've got beyond what you shared already (thanks for that!).

philrogo wrote:
Thanks Stiv. Do you have time to point me somewhere where I can learn what to write in Terminal to direct my Mac to use Python 3.3 to build Blender?
Cheers -- phil.

stiv

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:39 pm
One tip is to turn off all the fancy stuff (OSL, OCIO, etc) in your user-config.py and just build a basic blender first.

IIRC, there were issues with some of the dependencies on PPC, so you may need to compile those yourself.

Jamini

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:56 am
Well now - I can see THIS is going to be fun! Going to dig in just as soon as I identify if the struggle is justified by the updates. Hmm.

Thanks Stiv! Good to know there's active help out here. I tried to prod with a sharp stick for some PPC ubuntu support [community], and didn't get a squeak back.

stiv wrote:
One tip is to turn off all the fancy stuff (OSL, OCIO, etc) in your user-config.py and just build a basic blender first.

IIRC, there were issues with some of the dependencies on PPC, so you may need to compile those yourself.

Jump to: