need some help ! transparency for reference image plane ? ?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

zedeneye1

need some help ! transparency for reference image plane ? ?

Postby zedeneye1 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:24 pm

okay, so I have setup reference image planes to model a car.

problem is, I need it to be semi-transparent to see if the vertices are in the right place...

so how do I make it semi-transparent? I have tried through the material settings, but it doesn't work....I go to the materials tab and set transparency on and lower alpha value, but the plane doesn't become semi transparent.

plz help.

brasshat

Postby brasshat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:40 pm

Well, if you would place the plane containing the image behind the model, you would not need to worry about the plane being transparent, would you?

What I'd do, using the dimensions in the other, related thread, if I were going to insist on using planes, and using the dimensions given in your other thread, is to place the plane containing the image behind where the mesh is being constructed. So, assuming the origin of the mesh is at the street level of the car, the plane containing the top view would be placed a very small distance below the origin--perhaps .01 blender unit; the side view planes would be placed behind the origin, the left view .01 outside the right most side of the car, and vice-versa, &c.

But it's not clear to me why you seem to be totally ignoring the Blender facilities for background images. It almost seems from what you write that you have no facility with image processing software, since if you did, one would think it obvious that you would quickly recognize that you could determine the size of image needed to hold the top view (4 x 8), and place the side, front, and rear views in the same size image, centering the views in the 4x8 canvas, and filling the balance of the canvas with an alpha layer for transparency. Enabling background images section of the
properties shelf you would allow you to easily place the four images you specify so they are visible from the proper location, needing only to adjust the x and y position of the image.

ns

brasshat

Postby brasshat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:43 pm

I had added to, and edited out of the paragraph

brasshat wrote:Well, if you would place the plane containing the image behind the model, you would not need to worry about the plane being transparent, would you?

Because the image is behind the model, it would not obscure the points / lines / planes on which you were working, and if you needed to see the image behind, you need simply switch to wireframe view.

ns

zedeneye1

Postby zedeneye1 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:10 pm

brasshat wrote:Well, if you would place the plane containing the image behind the model, you would not need to worry about the plane being transparent, would you?

What I'd do, using the dimensions in the other, related thread, if I were going to insist on using planes, and using the dimensions given in your other thread, is to place the plane containing the image behind where the mesh is being constructed. So, assuming the origin of the mesh is at the street level of the car, the plane containing the top view would be placed a very small distance below the origin--perhaps .01 blender unit; the side view planes would be placed behind the origin, the left view .01 outside the right most side of the car, and vice-versa, &c.

But it's not clear to me why you seem to be totally ignoring the Blender facilities for background images. It almost seems from what you write that you have no facility with image processing software, since if you did, one would think it obvious that you would quickly recognize that you could determine the size of image needed to hold the top view (4 x 8), and place the side, front, and rear views in the same size image, centering the views in the 4x8 canvas, and filling the balance of the canvas with an alpha layer for transparency. Enabling background images section of the
properties shelf you would allow you to easily place the four images you specify so they are visible from the proper location, needing only to adjust the x and y position of the image.

ns

look at the following 2 pictures:

Image[/img]

I need to be able to see the ccurve on the bonnet. For that either the plane needs to be moved above the model and made semi-transparent or the model needs to be made semi-transparent. And I can't get either of the two to become semi transparent.

I hope you understand the problem now.

brasshat

Postby brasshat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Yes, I do understand the problem you face, but do you understand that the model can be made transparent by setting the mesh modeling mode to wireframe? This makes the mesh substantially transparent and allows the image on your plane to be visible. Three other solutions come to mind; you could use the grease pencil feature to trace the lines you need onto a grease pencil layer that you could see while you're working on the solid bonnet. A second alternative, is to hide your bonnet object in one layer, create the lines in the bonnet as a separate object in another layer, and when the lines are created to your satisfaction, move them into the same layer with the bonnet, join the objects, and merge the meshes. A third alternative would be to select the vertices or lines around the features of the background image you need to see, or the planes that cover them, and select "hide" from the "Specials" menu (press "W" on the keyboard to access the menu, then select "hide" from the specials menu, or press the "H" key). This hides the parts that obscure the lines, making them visible. When you've made the changes you need to, then you can reveal the lines parts of the mesh you hid by pressing the key combination "ALT-H", or by selecting "reveal" from the specials menu.

Any of these four methods would allow you to see the curve on the bonnet.

ns

zedeneye1

Postby zedeneye1 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:25 pm

I'll just press "Z" then....totally forgot about the wireframe mode...which i usually keep active in 3ds max...

but can I have both? Like a semi-transparent object plus wireframe like 3ds max has?

brasshat

Postby brasshat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:35 pm

Well, maybe.

There is the button just to the right of the three transform widgets, which in Blender 2.65a is labeled "Limit selection to visible (clipped with depth buffer)" which toggles between allowing other parts of the mesh to be viewed when in solid or textured mode despite the fact that they would normally be occluded by intervenient geometry. However, it does not seem to allow other objects to be seen through that geometry.

ns

Return to “Interface & Tools”