Text editing

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Text editing

Postby ScottyG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:57 am

Hi all.

On a logo I'm working on, I need to change the color of a part of a letter.
In the image below, you can see what I mean.

I'm not sure how to do this as I cannot find any information about how to make this kind of change to a text object.

Is there a way to remove part of the "R" and use that part from another "R" (combining the two parts into the wanted result)?

The font I use is: Kharnorric

I use Blender 2.64.

Hope someone can explain how to do this.
Thanks in advance.

Postby brasshat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 pm

I need more information on your project and workflow to know how to answer your question. I understand that you're working on a logo, and that you want to have portions of text in a different color, but how exactly are you using the text editor, and exactly what are you wanting the final result to be?. For example, is the text in the logo to be in 3 dimensions? In that case you will need to model the letters, into a mesh, at which point you can change the color of any bit of the text.

On the other hand, if you've added the text at the object level, by using the Add > Text command, this text is intended for annotations, and may take some doing to achieve the result you wish.

Postby CoDEmanX » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 pm

you can turn text into mesh and edit the mesh like you wish, or use InkScape to turn the letter into paths and export as SVG, then import into Blender.
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Postby ScottyG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks for the answers.

With Alt+C, I convert an "R" into a mesh. I then try to mark the area I want to use (Shift+Rightclick) but for some reason, it wont let me mark both sides and front/back at the same time.

If I mark as much as possible and move that part, I can clearly see that it's only the sides which has been marked.
If I, after I move the sides, mark the remaining mesh, it works just fine, but then I have the part, split into two.

Here is what I want to do;
I want to create a logo based on a photoshop image that I made.
This logo is 100% text based.
My wanted result (ignore the black frame around it):

It's very hard to explain what happens when I mark the mesh but am hoping you understand my issue.

Postby ScottyG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:55 pm

I made a screenshot, to show what happens.

Postby zedeneye1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:36 pm

you can draw a spline of the letter "R" shape of the kind you want and then extrude it.

Postby ScottyG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:24 pm

I made 2 copies of the letters I needed to make changes to and converted them to mesh.
Then I removed a part of each letter and put the rest together.
This solution worked though I'm sure there is an easier way.

Final result of my animation can be seen here: http://www.pixibin.net/files/intro.wmv

Thanks for the tips.

Return to “Interface & Tools”