Rigify problems and questions

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Velo222

Rigify problems and questions

Postby Velo222 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:43 pm

First of all, when I add an armature to my scene, it's twice as big as my model (even though both the mesh and the armature are scale 1,1,1).

Secondly, I adjust the armature to the size of my mesh, and when I hit generate (using rigify), the rig that is created from my adjusted armature is again twice as big as my model (even though I scaled the armature down to the size of my model).

Thirdly, I've rigged and animated 3 models now, and every single time I cannot get the top head bone/rig bone to move anything at all. Basically the top of the head doesn't do anything at all. So I end up having to pose my head using just the neck bone/rig to move my head.

I am using Blender 2.65 right now. What could be causing these problems?

Velo222

Postby Velo222 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:19 am

So I just kind of solved my head bone not moving anything problem. I just assigned everything in my model's face/head at 100% weight to my head bone. Then removed everything from the neck bone, and now the head rotates with the head bone like it should.

My other problems still stand though.

KONANDRIAS

Postby KONANDRIAS » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 pm

Your first problem doesn't have any solution that I know of. I think the Automatic rig has always the same default size. Maybe your character is smaller.

For the second problem there is a solution.
I believe that you are scaling the armature in object mode.

When you scaled down the armature to fit your model's proportions
you have to press Ctrl A and chose apply scale (maybe also apply location).

Then you can press rigify and everything should be fine.

I think that it will also solve the head bone problem.

Velo222

Postby Velo222 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks for the reply Konandrias. That did work :) Thank you. So now my rig generates at the same scale, which is great.

However, for the past 3-4 days now I've been trying to get my animations to export to .fbx format when I have the "only deform bones" option checked in the exporter options.

When I have this checked, my animations will not export. When I uncheck it, my animations do export. I can't figure out why.

I loaded an older model and tried exporting it with the option checked and it exported just fine. I've tried setting the scale on my armature to (1,1,1), the scale on my rig to (1,1,1), and applying the rotations and scales on my mesh and everything before and after each step......nothing seems to work.

Anyways, at least I got one problem solved, thanks.

KONANDRIAS

Postby KONANDRIAS » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:49 pm

You probably want it for UDK or Unity I can guess.

Rigify is a very strange situation. If you will go to the armature layers you will see that there are many bones that play part in your armature. Only the Def bones are actually responsible for the skining. However the other bones are equaly important!!
This means that whatever you do you will end up with something like 175 bones in Unity or Udk!!
Rigify is not the best solution for Fbx.
Some people are trying to solve that by having two armatures and copy the transforms from one armature to the other but I didnt tried that to see if it works well.
For Udk or Unity it is better to have a simple rig and not the rigify rig.

Velo222

Postby Velo222 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:36 am

Yes I am wanting to export it for Unity.

As far as I know, i didn't change any rotation or anything on any of the armature bones. I've only been working with the rig itself.

I'm still not getting it to export with only deform bones checked. My other model will export fine with it checked......I can't for the life of me figure out why my current model won't export with it.

I actually don't really know how to rig any other way then simply using rigify. I know it's cheap, but i havn't had a problem with the exporting up unitl now.

Thanks for your help Konandrias. I'll keep working on trying to figure out why.

KONANDRIAS

Postby KONANDRIAS » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:47 am

Maybe try sth like that.

In your dope sheet have the option F for all of your animation actions that you want to keep. Dont mess up with the NLA editor for now. Then choose the acion that you want it to be exported into fbx. In the fbx choose the options armature mesh.
Have default take checked and animation checked but do not check all actions.
Probably that could help I think.

For rigging check out this excelent tutorial by David ward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9bHc2SD ... A&index=66

And of course all of wards tutorials.

I dont know if b bones work for Unity. They surely dont work for UDK.
If you want to have a rotation of the forearm when you rotate the arm (something that rigify has it) there is a solution. When you build the armatures arms in edit mode choose subdivide for the forearm. then parent the hand to the first forearm bone (the one that roots from the arm) but keep the offset. Then go to pose mode and copy rotation from the hand to the second forearm bone (the one that is close to the hand) and put the influence to 0.5 . this works very well for FK bones. If you need it for IK bones just ask me. There is a good solution for that one too!!

As I told you it is better to have your rig for Unity or UDk It saves memory.

Good luck

Velo222

Postby Velo222 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:00 pm

So after much digging around. I noticed in the system console this message:

FBX export starting... 'file path here'
action: "Idle" has no armature using it, skipping export finished in 0.0967 sec.

So apparently, it's just been deliberately skipping exporting my actions for some reason.

I do have an armature. I have no idea why it's not associating my armature with the action. After doing some googling I found this mentioned:

This is from another website:
Even after assigning the action to the armature it doesn't export. The reason is that in the FBX script, the early check to see if the action should be used is based on action groups (i.e. grouping location/scale/rotation channels per bone), while the actual export does not use them and would work ok.

Anyway, I can see how this is perhaps more of a mismatch between BVH import and FBX export than a bug :)

Date: 2011-10-13 02:39
Sender: Campbell Barton
Hrm. I got thrown by the animation not working in the source file,
you're right that the group names are incorrectly being used.

will fix.

Date: 2011-10-13 04:17
Sender: Campbell Barton
fixed r2426, now evaluate the fcurves to find the bones rather then assume the action groups are correct.

But I have no idea what that means, or how to fix the "action groups". Perhaps this isn't even my problem, but it seems I'm getting close now.

Return to “Animation”