[Cycle Rendering] It's long, and I don't know why.

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Kinematiks

[Cycle Rendering] It's long, and I don't know why.

Postby Kinematiks » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:32 am

Hi Folks,

To understand my point of view this is the hardware I use :

Mac OS X ( 10.6.8 )
2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb 1066 Mhz DDR3
Nvidia Quadro 4000 (for Mac) of course

Drivers Updated and Cuda Toolkit installed.

These are my user preferences

First of all, With these preferences this image took about 24 minutes to render and with CPU Render this image took about 14 minutes to render.

2 smoothed squares (subsurf 4 ) with a Glass BSDF - 2 emissions plane - render at 50% of 1920 / 1080.

Is something wrong with my preferences or something else ? do you have any idea ?

Second question, why do I have to put the sample so far ( 2500 ) to avoid that grainy picture ? (and even then I have some grains artefact in my picture) - with 250 samples it took only 2 minutes.

Third question I have to use these render configuration to have a colored Render otherwise it's b/w... (black and white)

What can I do to have better Blender performences ?

Kinematiks

Postby Kinematiks » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:17 am

Just an update in case of any feedback or informations... :)

zedeneye1

Postby zedeneye1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:16 pm

computing device I think should always be CPU, cuz generally CPUs are faster than the GPUs...

and can you give the model number of the CPU?

and if possible, can u share the blend file for the image that took 14 mins on your system, I'll try on mine with same settings and see how long it takes. I have a 2670qm laptop with 8gb 1333. And I get that same feeling that blender takes tooooo long to render, compared to other softwares...maybe its cuz of some slow code...

So far I've noticed, the blender engine is not at all realistic, and the cycles engine is too grainy unless you have maybe 1000s of samples which is too much if you have a scene with ~500,000 polys...

not sure if they made any changes to speed up renders in 2.66....

Kinematiks

Postby Kinematiks » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:25 am

No problem about that :

1) CPU Model number

2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5520 @ 2.27GHz
Model : BX80602E5520

Based on this machine : http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... ly/mac_pro

( Quad core version, and not the visible one 3.2 Ghz, of course ,but the older version 2.27 / 2.26 Ghz... )

2) Blend file now 17 minutes of rendering on my hot hardware there :

it's maybe because I set 2500 samples, and not 2000. With 2000 it will took only $14,99 ( :lol: )

http://we.tl/VknNHKUj4h

zedeneye1

Postby zedeneye1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:11 pm

Kinematiks wrote:No problem about that :

1) CPU Model number

2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5520 @ 2.27GHz
Model : BX80602E5520

Based on this machine : http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... ly/mac_pro

( Quad core version, and not the visible one 3.2 Ghz, of course ,but the older version 2.27 / 2.26 Ghz... )

2) Blend file now 17 minutes of rendering on my hot hardware there :

it's maybe because I set 2500 samples, and not 2000. With 2000 it will took only $14,99 ( :lol: )

http://we.tl/VknNHKUj4h

thats a very powerful computer you have...on cpubenchmark website, ur cpu has about 7.5k+ points while mine was around 6k (probably lesser).

I tried rendering your file. But after the first seven minutes and 0% progress, I got impatient, so cancelled it.

Then I looked at your model. I noticed you had waaay too many polys/verts/tris. More than you need. Instead of applying subdivision of such a high level (you had 4 on both cubes), you can use edge loops. When u apply subdivision, the entire model gets subdivided, including those places which dont need more subdivision(the flat faces of the cube), this can slow down the render.

I lowered the subdivision level to 2 and brought the verts/polys/tris down to around 6k (you were at ~60k which is what a good quality car model would have lol). And you can use subdivision level 1 as well if you can manage to add edge loops in the right places yourself.

Now with ~60k polys, my render time with 100 samples was around 3:25 and with ~6k poly, my render time with same settings was around 2:45. Thats a saving of around 20%. Perhaps with higher number of samples, the saving would be more or less, I don't know.

here's the result with ~6k polys:

you can notice that there's not that much difference in the picture you posted (apart from the fact that mine is alot grainier due to lower samples and that I could have added a few more edge loops to make the edges of the cube look smoother). So its not just the software, you're making the computer do unnecessary stuff.

Kinematiks

Postby Kinematiks » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:49 pm

It's a good tip here! I completely forgot about the number of faces... I have to modelise wisely ! that's an advice I won't forget, thanks.

:D

Return to “Rendering”