bf-blender / windows (2004/01/06)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jesterKing
Site Admin

bf-blender / windows (2004/01/06)

Postby jesterKing » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:33 pm

This build has been obsoleted by a newer build

The CVS-build for today:

[url=xxxx]http://www.letwory.net/cvsbuilds/bf_blender_windows_20040106.zip[/url]

This version has been built with Michel_'s created build system, SCons. It has TTF, International, Quicktime and OpenAL enabled, and of course including the preliminary Yafray export support, which really rocks already!

What is new?

* displacement map (working with texture mappings orco, sticky, global, obj and normal)
* splitting of non-flat quads for better displacement and less errors of subsurfaces while raytracing
* adaptive splitting of renderfaces improving smoothness without additional subdivide
* bug fix for previewrender with mapping type 'Cube'

See the thread for the windows build of yesterday (2004/01/05) for instruction on installing and configuring for Yafray.

Enjoy!

/jesterKing

edit: added some coloring
Last edited by jesterKing on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

dotblend

Postby dotblend » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:38 pm

thanks, for your built but i was wondering
how does the displacement work?

jesterKing
Site Admin

update

Postby jesterKing » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:03 pm

The zip has been updated. All of the updates concern the yafray support.

* A file selector for the iYFexport path (in user settings) has been added. Win32 should have less problems now.
* reflection export scheme has changed so now blender's RayMir is used as yafray's min_refle and the amount of reflection is controled by the mir color. This seems more intuitive. And now IOR is exported also for reflection only, wich is needed for fresnel.

To use the new displacement:
* add a cube
* in edit mode subdivide it a few times
* add a material
* add a texture to the material (like clouds)
* in the material panels, for the texture in the map to panel hit the disp button.
* f12
* oooohh.

How does the displacement work?

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:18 pm

Quite nicely ;-) To get a result, make sure your object has UV coordinates, or else set "map input" to "nor". Set "Map to" to "disp", and make sure the mesh has enough vertices, preferably by setting it as a subsurf. Render ;-)

(this only works in Blender's renderer, not YafRay)

Monkeyboi

Postby Monkeyboi » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:16 pm

Breathtaking! Simply Breathtaking!

I found a bug though: the Bake function in the Action Window is not working. It doesn't work when I insert the strip in the NLA Editor...

leinad13

Postby leinad13 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:56 pm

Nice build.
I cant get the displacement to work at all atm though.

I will keep trying

[EDIT] Got it, i was being an idiot and forgot to Sub Divide
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

soletread

Postby soletread » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:30 pm

Is anyone experiencing the same armature problems as I am?

What used to be sticky feet are now not. If I grab the base of the spine on the previous pre-Yafray builds, and pull down, the character goes into a crouch. Now all he does is relocate completely.

This rig has worked in all the Blender versions up until now, could it just be a bug or bad rig design I wonder.

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:25 pm

soletread wrote:What used to be sticky feet are now not. If I grab the base of the spine on the previous pre-Yafray builds, and pull down, the character goes into a crouch. Now all he does is relocate completely.

I noticed this as well, but it seems like a GL thing. It seems like the constraints are not being updated in the 3d window, keying the rigs, eg, spine with Ik legs, works in playback and rendering. I think this was an atempt to speed up the Armature system.

Don't you just love the new displacement mapping, some great work coders :D

/nozzy

nozzy

Postby nozzy » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:40 pm

soletread wrote:What used to be sticky feet are now not. If I grab the base of the spine on the previous pre-Yafray builds, and pull down, the character goes into a crouch. Now all he does is relocate completely.

I noticed this, i think its a GL problem, Constraints are not updated in the 3d window, but if there are keyed they playback as they should. I think it is its an atempt to speed up the Armature system.

As for the Displacement mapping fantastic work coders :D
I subdivded a plane, added a material with a cloud texture
and mapped it to the displacement then animated the offset
and this is what i got

/nozzy

Hos

Postby Hos » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:52 am

soletread wrote:Is anyone experiencing the same armature problems as I am?

What used to be sticky feet are now not. If I grab the base of the spine on the previous pre-Yafray builds, and pull down, the character goes into a crouch. Now all he does is relocate completely.

This rig has worked in all the Blender versions up until now, could it just be a bug or bad rig design I wonder.

Please supply an example blend.

Chris

modron

Postby modron » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:52 am

Displacement seems to be coming out fine in the render, but it doesn't show up in the 3D view. After displacing an object, it appears in the 3D window, as no different than before i applied the displacement. Is it supposed to do this?

jesterKing
Site Admin

Postby jesterKing » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:55 am

Yes. It is a render-time displacement.

This build has been obsoleted by a newer build

modron

Postby modron » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:33 am

oops missed the new one, because I arrived via link. Thanks for the builds. :)

soletread

Postby soletread » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:57 am

Hos wrote:Please supply an example blend.

Chris

I dont have server space to post unfortunately, but that character of yours that opens the filing cabinet. That one has the same problem.

Cheers

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:45 am

I don't know if it has been said before, as I cant find where to report bugs for bf, but Shadow only doesn't work with ray traced shadows.

Erufailon

Return to “Testing Builds”