bf-blender / Windows (2004/01/08)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jesterKing
Site Admin

bf-blender / Windows (2004/01/08)

Postby jesterKing » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 pm

Todays CVS build:

This build has been obsoleted by a newer CVS build

http://www.letwory.net/cvsbuilds/bf_blender_windows_20040107.zip

Again, this is build with the SCons, using MSVC7 as the compiler. It has TTF, International, Quicktime and OpenAL support compiled in. There is no game-engine, we hope to get it enabled at some point, though (keep the faith!).

Nothing much has yet happened since yesterday, but ton has committed some stuff.

Changelog since the build of 2004/01/07:

* (progress) render ton improved quad splitting before rendering, updated also for raytrace.
* (bug fix) yafray Fixed code for finding yafray.exe in the PATH.
* (progress) source Code cleanup.
* (bug fix) interface disappeared question mark button back in topheader
* (bug fix) interface DELKEY patch (seems to break extended ASCII? red.)
* (bug fix) modelling subsurf orco fix (ton).
* (progress) yafray From Eeshlo, also create the temporary dir inside yafray's install dir if the user does not put a valid path on Fexport. So now all windows path problems should be fixed, but never understimate windows.
* (progress) yafray Added export for caustic settings based on the raytrans values. And settings for casting them from GI (pathlight). A new contro "caus depth" in the panel controls the maximun number of bounces going through objects.

This build has been obsoleted by a newer CVS build

Enjoy!

/jesterKing
Last edited by jesterKing on Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

blinblin

Postby blinblin » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:40 am

maybe it was mentioned before, but anyway there is this small problem :
choosing the yafray export directory using the button doesnt take account of the drive letter if the export directory is on same drive than blender.
for instance it will just bring back "\toto\yfexport\" and this path will not work. the drive letter has to be added by hand, to something like "d:\toto\yfexport\"

quite nothing :) but lets report it...

Erufailon

Postby Erufailon » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:19 am

Just want to say thank you for every progress going on lately. It's amazing. :shock: Brought me back to blender. And I can't wait to have caustics and photon lights for yafray inside blender :)

Psion

Postby Psion » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:46 am

I agree with Erufailon! This is very exciting.

I have a question about the displacement mapping, however. I don't know if this is a rendering bug, or a lack of understanding on my part. First, I'm going to start with a simple displacement texture on a subsurf plane:

I'd like to draw folks attention to the edges of the ripple; you can plainly see that this isn't just a typical rendering trick like the way Blender used to handle bump maps. The mesh is clearly distorted! Once again, good job!

The above image is a simple, two-dimensional plane, and while that is very useful, I'd like to add depth to the model. That is, I'd like to see the walls of the water, as though the ripple were contained in an invisible box. This could be useful, for example, in rendering documentary footage of underwater activities by slicing from the surface of the water all the way down below the bottom. Anyway, I tried implementing this by simply extruding my plane and this is what I got:

Wow. Okay, that certainly didn't work. The edges don't seem to connect to the ripples correctly, and there are changes in the amplitude of the wave. And the garbage sticking out of the sides -- yuck! Then I tried to assign the walls of the box a different material, and got this:

And here again, we can see that the walls don't match up with the top of the box. It's as though the top plane has been separated from the sides.

Is this a bug, the result of unfinished code, or the result of my own misconceptions about how displacement maps work in the new Blender?

jesterKing
Site Admin

updated build

Postby jesterKing » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:19 am

See initial post. Link is updated with new .zip.

JA-forreal

Postby JA-forreal » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:29 am

This may not be anything as these releases are completely for test purposes. But I just realized that my Armature rig constraints don’t work in any of these new Yafray Rendering builds so far.

blinblin

Postby blinblin » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:27 am

thanks to all coders !
and thanks for building.

another feedback :

problem with a subsurf cube : doesnt catch light from a lamp above it. normals are pointing outside. (there is also a hemilight in the scene)
this happens also in 20040107 build, but no problem with 20040106 or 2.31a official

with 0601 build

pbm with 0801 build

here is the blend file :
subsurfcube.blend

update : i found a similar (but not identical) bug report in the bug tracker from zaz.
my question is : is the kind of feedback i made to be sent to bug tracker, here in testing builds threads, or both (or somewhere else :) ) ? enlighten me.
Last edited by blinblin on Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Postby jesterKing » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:04 pm

Feedback here doesn't get sent to the bugtracker (that you can do yourself). Feedback is used to communicate directly to the coders. I try to address these in IRC etc.

blinblin

Postby blinblin » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:23 pm

thank you for answering.
i already understood that i can use bugtracker by myself, my question is more like : is it enough to sent feedbacks here for cvs builds ? or is it better for coders to send it to bugtracker? (or is the more efficient to send to both places)
sorry for my rough english, can lead to misunderstandings...
Last edited by blinblin on Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kencanvey

Postby kencanvey » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:49 pm

Downloaded todays build, when I add just simple object and render it using Yafray, no red is being rendered, green and blue ok.

Erufailon

Postby Erufailon » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:52 pm

blinblin:

I had that yesterday as well. The rendered scene looked like as if the lights were mirrored horizontaly, but I just deleted the camera, put in a new one and everything was fine.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Postby jesterKing » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:59 pm

updated

blinblin

Postby blinblin » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:16 pm

Erufailon: tried your way, delete/put new cam. the pbm remains.
anyway, even if it would have worked, the bug is still worth to be reported :)

Erufailon

Postby Erufailon » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:35 pm

How do you get caustics to work? Can it only be done by using pathlight (doesn't work for me that way neither).

dotblend

Postby dotblend » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:35 pm

in the yafrayGI tab, select the full method for render settings, and there's a extra sliderthingy, "CDepth" thats the one

Peter

Return to “Testing Builds”