Next Generation Blender and Others

Feedback to the Blender Foundation and the moderators of this website

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

IngieBee

Next Generation Blender and Others

Postby IngieBee » Sat Oct 19, 2002 7:50 pm

Is it too early? Or shall we start a branch in the forums and downloads for the experimental lines of Blender. I think that supporting such experiments would be extreemly valuable for the foundation. Perhaps we can even interest more companies to financially support our efforts too???

Anyway, I know some people are worried about blender splitting into a bunch of little pcs. but this shouldn't cause that. It would be where anything goes. Even though it wouldn't directly result in improvements to Blender, ideas that come out of it, that work and are useful, could then be incorporated into the official Bleder line. It would help keep those who are more adventurous from straying away, if there is an outlet for them to work and experiment while being a part of the community.

So, um, Can we get this section started here?

Thanks, Ingie

MrMunkily

Postby MrMunkily » Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:04 am

this won't happen soon.

to be brief, the code isn't yet suitable for forking! :)

it needs to al least be stable and well documented before someone would dream of abandoning the unified effort here.

Unless, of course, they were nuts!

wait a few months, then this will be a problem.

in all cases, better than blener being dead...

Debaser

Postby Debaser » Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:08 pm

I don't even know how to compile the thing into a win32 binary yet :oops:.
Most of us can't I think.
Sure it can be done with visual c++, but I'm not gonna buy it.
So better concentrate on getting the thing compiled with free tools for now.

IngieBee

Postby IngieBee » Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:40 pm

I think I'm misunderstood. I'm not really talking about forking the code, I'm talking about having an exparimental "department" where anything goes. All things are tried, and may not ever be included in the blender code.

Like what Eskil was talking about here:
http://www.elysiun.com/viewtopic.php?t=6105
Which I think is a really cool idea, especially for my interests in the future of multi roll playing games. If these things are developed under the Blender Foundation's wings, it would certainly be developed with Blender hooking up to it in mind.

That's why I'm asking, Will the foundation's website here open up a section for this kind of thing?

Ingie

xype

Postby xype » Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:26 pm

IngieBee wrote:That's why I'm asking, Will the foundation's website here open up a section for this kind of thing?

Yep, it is planned from what I know - at least Ton really wants one such "R&D" section up, so people can discuss Blender's future and get a solid idea up and running without neccessarily touching too much of Blender's code at first. I think Eskil is very welcome here :)

ton
Site Admin

Postby ton » Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:44 pm

Yep, but we want to have 'project space' here first. Something sourceforge alike, but better! :-)

Each project can have its own front page with a news section, CVS services, moderators, maillists, discussion forums.

Problem with a NextGen Blender is - of course - that it is very early to start this now... I would like to survive a few phases before it can seriously roll. Like:

- reorganizing the source tree to get an out-of-the-box compiling blender
- continue building at the site
- get a moderators board together to make official releases
- get clear vision about what to do first!
- get a plan ready for migrating to a feasible 2.5

Everyone who's active and succesful during these phases, also will get a lot of credits in working on a NextGen blender.

I think Siggraph 2003 would be a very nice target, for a 2.5 being functional, and a NextGen Blender being ready as R&D prototype or functional whitepaper.

IngieBee

Postby IngieBee » Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:44 pm

That'll be cool. I'll just have to wait for the show to start, getting antsy with all the excitement :lol:

Do you think the foundation will actually have the funds for a booth at siggraph? That would be too awsome, no? :shock: :o :D

I love these new happies, LOL

Love Ingie

Cyberdigitus

Postby Cyberdigitus » Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:31 pm

ingieBee, if you want to do MMOG's, check out the Nel engine. it's very advanced and also opensource.

http://www.nevrax.com

in fact someone there is writing a python interface to blender for it. hope to see him succeeding.

I'm currently setting up a team together with a friend to develop using this engine but we haven't advanced very far yet.

just wanted to let you know...

Cyberdigitus

Postby Cyberdigitus » Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:31 pm

ingieBee, if you want to do MMOG's, check out the Nel engine. it's very advanced and also opensource.

in fact someone there is writing a python interface to blender for it. hope to see him succeeding.

I'm currently setting up a team together with a friend to develop using this engine but we haven't advanced very far yet.

Cyberdigitus

Postby Cyberdigitus » Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:32 pm

Cyberdigitus

Postby Cyberdigitus » Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:32 pm

IngieBee, if you want to do MMOG's, check out the Nel engine. it's very advanced and also opensource.

Cyberdigitus

Postby Cyberdigitus » Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:34 pm

holy . . :oops: sorry the system said it could'nt send the message... eseems like it could ;-)

dunno how to take the doubles away, can someone do it for me? ( and this one :oops: )

Return to “Foundation and Websites”