video output = askew?

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

macouno

video output = askew?

Postby macouno » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:25 pm

Posted this before I think, posted at elysiun as well.

sometimes when I render the output video file plays back askew in different players. Just now it happened again for no specific reason. This one plays back fine in divx player and windows media player but in virtualdub or my video editor it's completely askew.

Here is a file with the above mentioned problem... only 250kb ish

http://www.alienhelpdesk.com/misc/littleeye46.avi

theeth

Postby theeth » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:21 pm

Your video is 370x200. DivX requires a width that is multiple of 4 and height multiple of 2. I don't know how you compressed this video, but the codec is just not supposed to work.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

macouno

Postby macouno » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:45 pm

rendered to divx in blender... but this sort of thing has happened with avi raw as well.

Monkeyboi

Postby Monkeyboi » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:41 pm

Yeah, I got this error a few times..

Dunno what it is though.

alltaken

Postby alltaken » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:48 pm

this error ahs only ever come up with me and about 1 million other blender users since the 2.31 release.

i beg to argue that it is a blender issue and not anything else.

thrid party video software has no issues encoding to these formats from the same render.

yet blender (with even a AVI JPG) will create files that are unable to be opend by a third party video editing program.

it is a huge BUG and to say its not blender is IMO crazy talk.

lets hope the issue gets sorted out soon

Alltaken

leinad13

Postby leinad13 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:58 pm

There is no way in hell that it is a blender problem, if it plays fine in some players and not in others. I think that its a compression issue, i have never had it and so i think you swat up on your AVI compression, until u have any proof it is blender.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

theeth

Postby theeth » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:24 am

I don't know what version of DivX you used, but I did some test using the same video size and it's really impossible that you compressed this with a good copy of DivX. I tried both rendering a video of the same size and compressing from within Blender or recompressing your video in VirtualDub. Both failed.

Are you using an official release or one of the optimised version? Optimising can often cause hidden problems.

Martin

- John Lennon

macouno

Postby macouno » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:47 pm

I used the official release. divx 5.2 or something... encoded the video in blender with codec selection.

And I repeat myself.... it's not the divx encoding that's the problem! I've had this same problem in AVI RAW!!! If I had a small enough file of that to post it online I would but avi raw is invariably huge. And when I have this issue in a raw bit of video it won't play correctly in any player, though blender will play it fine.

It's possible that it's the width/height of the video rendered but I remember clearly that I had this happen at 640x480 as well (but I think that was set at 50%) but that was a long time ago.

theeth

Postby theeth » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:26 pm

When I was talking about optimised version, I meant version of Blender, not DivX. And by optimised, I mean anything forcing optimisation higher than the O3 level that is current used for release. That includes anything compiled with the intel compiler, which we have found cause some problem with the rendering (optimisation errors).

Martin

- John Lennon

macouno

Postby macouno » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:09 am

I meant... official release of blender combined with divx 5.3 or something.. Not official divx release.

So it's not optimised, not an "unofficial build" just blender 2.32 and I've been bumping into this problem on and off for quite a few versions now.. .can't remember when it first happened but it may well have been 6 months ago.

And might I say... no other app on my oc has ever created a similarly flawed file, and I work with lots of video... all I can say... it's definitely a blender bug.

alien-xmp

Postby alien-xmp » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:53 am

That movie plays fine here. (mplayer)

rafael

Postby rafael » Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:30 am

alien-xmp wrote:That movie plays fine here. (mplayer)

It worked here too.
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count and those who can't.

theeth

Postby theeth » Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:20 am

macouno wrote:And might I say... no other app on my oc has ever created a similarly flawed file, and I work with lots of video... all I can say... it's definitely a blender bug.

Ok, lets just assume it is.
Does it happen all the time or only when using particular settings?
If it happens with a particular set of settings, does it happen everytime or randomly?

If you can create a blend file that will always render incorrectly (to AVI raw, that way we can be sure the problem is Blender), than please upload the blend file so we can look at it.

Martin

- John Lennon

macouno

Postby macouno » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:13 pm

Nope not always the same settings, not always the same file.

A lot of times a pc restart will fix it, and after the same render will turn out ok. That's the annoying thing... it looks like it's quite random. It does seem to me that it happens more often with smaller render sizes.

That's why I posted this video file. In the hope that someone could see what the flaw in it is.

theeth

Postby theeth » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:17 pm

If a reboot solves it, than I really doubt it's a Blender bug.

Martin

- John Lennon

Return to “Rendering”