Tuhopuu (Backface culling experiment) / windows (02/12/2004)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tankcoder

Tuhopuu (Backface culling experiment) / windows (02/12/2004)

Postby tankcoder » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:22 am

Hey all, here's atest I've been doing over the last few days

in edit mode, select "Cull Backface" from the mesh edit options (where Draw Normals, Draw Faces, Draw Edges, etc are) and then watch in amazement as the faces pointing away from you are hidden... even in wireframe mode (gasp)

Known Limitations:

1) Only works with basic meshes (no subsurfs, no curves, nurbs, etc)
2) When you un-toggle the Cull Backface button, it wont un-hide the verts that were hidden, you need to unhide (alt-h or something) to view them again
3) When you first press the "Cull Backface" button, nothing will appear to happen at first, move the viewport around a bit to see the change
4) I'm probably missing something

Anyways, give it a go, please give me your comments/critisizm. I see this tool mainly used to edit faces mabey, when you're too lazy to hide the back of the head yourself.

http://www.angelfire.com/ex2/tankc/TCblender.zip

Ohh, and vertices that are selected will not be culled. This isnt a bug, I just thought it might improve workflow.

Have Fun!!

TankCoder-

p.s. thanks to zr for giving me some pointers on the viewport

p.s.s. sorry for the double post, forgot to login

Monkeyboi

Postby Monkeyboi » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:38 pm

Wow, this is something I've been wanting for a while. It works ok, except for three things:

1)Main bug: Operations only work on visible vertices, making it impossible to subdivide a sphere for example.

2)The fact that it uses the hide/unhide system, meaning it screws with hidden vertices and creates problems when turning it off again (as you mentioned)

3)You cannot enable this is in Object mode.

To tell you the truth, I'd rather see this implemented in the Object Draw panel so you could use this in whichever mode you would prefer. Either that, or maybe a viewport shading mode called Hidden Line?

Hope this is useful to you.

-William

Return to “Testing Builds”