Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon publisher key

gorgan_almighty

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 1:31 pm
its a shame about every 1 havin the same publisher key cos it means that every1 can open every1 elses EXEs Sad

but wasnt the source for the publisher key included in the main source distribution? im sure it was and if so couldnt we use it to compile our own unique publisher keys? I dont see anything wrong with doin this.

any1 here got any tips on doin this? Smile

Thanks.
Cool

Eric

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 1:56 pm
gorgan_almighty wrote:
its a shame about every 1 havin the same publisher key cos it means that every1 can open every1 elses EXEs Sad
I can't open anyone's .exe .

ton

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:16 pm
At the download here is a Key at the name of the Blender Foundation. This is a free Key, which allows all Blender Publisher features, including writing locked content.
A dot-exe doesn't have to be locked, that's an option you can choose for.

By publishing this Key, it means that 'locking' doesn't really lock the file, since anyone with a Foundation key can read it.
The people who have bought an official Key in the past, can still lock their content.

With an open source Blender, we have to define if anyone still wants the locking feature. I would propose to remove it from the main source tree, and make it a seperate utility which artists can use if they like. This proprietary locking feature doesn't really match an open project imho...

gorgan_almighty

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:51 pm
Eric wrote:
gorgan_almighty wrote:
I can't open anyone's .exe .

Any EXEs created using the Blender Foundation free key can be opened and edited by any1 with a copy of that key, even if the locked option is selected. This means that any1 can go in and nick the content that you've spent so long creating, eg meshes, animations, python scripts etc.

Ton wrote:
This proprietary locking feature doesn't really match an open project imho...

I dont agree, blender its self is an open-source project but the art created in it still belongs to the artist that made it and every artist has the right to protect there creation from plagurism.

In the case of still renders or animations the artist only distributes the jpg/mpeg file so theres little risk, but in the case of game creation the whole thing needs to be distributed and if just any1 can open it and poke around then its open to plagurism. Im not suggesting that any of the good people in here would do such a thing, but id still feel safer being able to protect my creation as would any1 in the same situation.

i have a suggestion for a change to the locking system though, it could work the same way Europress's Game Factory locking system does. In the Games Factory you cant lock normal save files, but when u save a stand-alone game, the EXE files are automatically locked so that no one, not even their creator can open them. The idea behind this is that you always keep a copy of your normal save file (the .blend) which you dont distribute to any1 if you intend locking its contents. Then when you're ready to distribute it you save it as a stand-alone EXE file which no one can open. You still have a copy of your .blend file if you need to make alterations, so it doesn't matter that u cant open and edit the EXE file.

theeth

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:47 pm
you cannot open a exe, unless you want to look at the binary Rolling Eyes

Martin

Eric

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:07 pm
theeth wrote:

Martin

That is right, but that was not my main joke, I meant that renameing "runtime" to ".exe" is not a good thing since not everyone's using M$ not very good OS. Very Happy

gorgan_almighty

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:37 pm
theeth wrote:

Martin

Well I can, put it that way! Shocked

I've done this test several times now and it definately works:

0)Install the public released publisher key if you havent already

1)save an EXE (dynamic or not, locked or unlocked doesn't matter)

2)restart Blender,

3)go to File>Open and choose the exe file you saved

4)an message will pop up saying "ERROR: Unknown file type or error, check console" ignore it

5)despite the error message the game will still load fine.

I cant see why that would work for me but not any1 else, some1 plez check it and confirm it though.

calli

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 2:00 pm
Seems Blender is just ignoring the player in front(?) of an EXE.

But to say again: You CAN'T open an file or EXE which was locked with a *different* key!

Carsten.

gorgan_almighty

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:27 pm
Yeah I know, but since its all open source now anyway whats the harm in releasing the details of how to generate your own key? Smile

Jump to: