Object following two paths?

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bog

Object following two paths?

Postby bog » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:29 am

Hello, web world

I was wondering. Is it possible to get a object to follow two paths. For example. For the irst 100 frames on path, and the the next 100 frames another path?

Need this to get my animated human animaiton to follow a path, included rotating afther the path, and then suddenly making a jump, straight upp in the air, without rotationg afther the path, and then following a path again. The only way I have figgured out to do this i to use two paths, but that I cant get to work. The animated man, only disapers when applying ctrl P two times with to paths. I would think this was a parenting problem, but I don't know.

Anyhow.

Hope to get som helpfull replays.... Thanks

beatabix

Postby beatabix » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:34 am

Don't use parenting, instead use constraints and varying influence. I've never done it, but I know it's possible.

Theeth created that system, and I'm sure he'll be along shortly with a decent explanation. Also, there is a blender demo with an empty parented to two circular paths, with the influence controlled so that it follows a figure of eight.

later
BEAT

ilac

Postby ilac » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:49 am

Usual first tip:
Please post user questions on Elysiun:
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/index.php

Second tip:
You can only have 1 parent.
Which isn't a problem because you only need 1 path for what you want to do (a path doesn't need to be curved all the time so you can have it straight were the jump occurs) Look for the tutorials (at Elysiun) on:
1) Drawing bezier paths
2) using a speed ipo to control the location of the child object along the path at any given point.
3) Using the NLA to control where your character walks, jumps etc.

Sorry but I haven't got the time to write long explanations atm! (I'm late for work! :P )

ilac

Postby ilac » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:51 am

beatabix wrote:Don't use parenting, instead use constraints and varying influence. I've never done it, but I know it's possible.

Theeth created that system, and I'm sure he'll be along shortly with a decent explanation. Also, there is a blender demo with an empty parented to two circular paths, with the influence controlled so that it follows a figure of eight.

later
BEAT

I don't think you can use path constraints for the NLA

theeth

Postby theeth » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:53 pm

There's a bug in the follow path constraint that I haven't had time to solve yet. The bug is triggered when one object follows two paths.

Ilac: It's probably rather simple to integrate follow path in the NLA as a path action, just really too busy lately to look into that.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Hos

Postby Hos » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:59 pm

Use 2 objects, one that follows the first path, one that follows the other.
Hide the second one on an invisible layer. When the first object reaches
the end of it's path, use a layer key to make it jump to the invisible layer.
Simultaneously, make the second object jump from the invisible layer to
the visible layer. Bit of a kludge, but should look OK.

Chris

bog

Postby bog » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:54 pm

Thank you!

Actually i'm reali impressed by this enourmes feedback. Good to have people on the web, realy interested in helpink.

Now I found out much about my problem. And just have to start trying it on in my animation..

Thank you!

Return to “Animation”