Do we get Documentation now?

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Zen-Bomberman

Do we get Documentation now?

Postby Zen-Bomberman » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:17 am

Hi, I remember last time I downloaded blender the documentation was rather sparce. Now that it is open source, are we going to get more documentation for free?

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:24 am

That will most probably depend on who is willing to write the documentation. It's a volunteer effort, and I'd presume that any help would be appreciated.

xitnalta

Postby xitnalta » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:37 am

At the Conference, I heard that we would get all the (internal) NaN documentation as well (not including the Blender 2.0 Guide (yet?)). The first problem will be to find and sort it out :roll:
Felix

estqwerty

old documentation may be finded in archive.org

Postby estqwerty » Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:10 pm

runing a first time blende :?
seeng all buttons for first ;)
try to find old .pdf files they are good for beginers

Cyberdigitus

Postby Cyberdigitus » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:14 pm

why can't we have the 2.0 guide? hasn't the community paid enough?

I can't learn this program without documentation. And don't send me to elysiun, it suck's. Why not have all info close together. I know you want to split up development/enduser in different sites but maybe make that clear in the homepage and provide links.

where are those pdf files you mention?

need help soon, or i'l leave off... I can't even figure out how to interact with objects, it's all so abstract. I come from a max background, much more intuitive.

please give some pointers for me and people in a similar position

Cyberdigitus

Postby Cyberdigitus » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:36 pm

hmm guess i had little patience here. A quick search on google has given me lot's of material to take through already. Just wished there's more on the fundamentals.

dittohead

Postby dittohead » Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:14 pm

Cyberdigitus wrote:why can't we have the 2.0 guide?

hasn't the community paid enough?

1. the guide was written by two differant people. one of which still has wants to keep his work himself.

2. elysiun COMMUNITY is what we send you to. they have alot of smart people there who know what they are doing.

3 . www.ingiebee.com then click tutorials. she has many of the old Blender.nl tutes there.

we just got all this online people stop complaining we are doing the best we can to get everything back online.

have patiance please these things take time.
dittohead

Cyberdigitus

Postby Cyberdigitus » Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:11 pm

thanks for that link dittohead. it seems i'l have to go to elysiun for tips and questions as well.

dittohead

Postby dittohead » Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:59 am

it's small but growing: BlenTips
dittohead

B@rt

Postby B@rt » Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:59 am

dittohead wrote:
Cyberdigitus wrote:why can't we have the 2.0 guide?

hasn't the community paid enough?

1. the guide was written by two differant people. one of which still has wants to keep his work himself.

Please check your facts before you post information like this - it is not true. First of all, the guide was written by 5 or more people (with Carsten in the lead). Second, the rights are owned by the publisher, not by the authors.

B@rt

mthoenes

Postby mthoenes » Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:16 pm

There are excellent Blender resources available for purchase. I learned Blender using the 1.8 Guide and web tutorials. I recently bought the Blender Book, and The Blender Tutorial Guides 1 and 2 . They have a wealth of useful information. Not all information is Free! Regarding the 2.0 Guide. If one of the authors wishes to continue to be paid for his work, who can say there is anything wrong with that. It should be sufficient that it be reprinted and made available for purchase.

You can pay the price for knowledge by the time spent gaining your own experience or pay for someone elses experience. Believe me, the manuals are worth the money and I wish I had bought more of them sooner.

Cyberdigitus

Postby Cyberdigitus » Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:15 pm

it's a bit silly to purchase documentation while the app itself is free is it? Of course documentation will come, in time. So I'l try to learn it with what is readily available now.

dittohead

Postby dittohead » Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:39 am

sry B@rt :( . either way we still dont get the manual.

and it's not silly to sell those docs!!! the foundation is selling them to get money for the foundation.
dittohead

jeotero

Postby jeotero » Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:19 am

Not silly, ask O'reilly ;)

Papasan

My Docs

Postby Papasan » Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:44 am

I've been using Blender for about a year and can now get by without a stack of tutorials. I use a text file containing all the features I learned to help as I work. I load it into each new project:

Procedures for Blender
COPY - Shift D

ADD VERTEX - In edit mode Hold down Ctrl LMB at cursor

JOIN/WELD Vertices - EMode Select/Snap Cursor to :
Again Select/Snap it to cursor
Remove Doubles

JOIN - Group objects of the same kind by C/J

PARENT/CHILD - Select child/Shift then Parent - Ctrl P

MAKE PARENT ALT P Dialog -
CLEAR - Child returns to original LOC/ROT/SIZE
CLEAR & TRANSFORM - Child retains LOC/ROT/SIZE
CLEAR w/Inverse - Use when MAKE PARENT error.

When I need help I bring up the text window - find the answer - and go back to work.........

Problem is I forget to keep it updated. Still this immediate help keeps my bloodpressure down!

Return to “Documentation & Education”