particles (and some render stuff) (07/03/2004) - updated

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

leon

particles (and some render stuff) (07/03/2004) - updated

Postby leon » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:54 am

hi all,

**Update 13/3/04 - A minor fix: particle deflectors and attractors should now work ok following paths, or parented to other moving objects***

**Update 14/3/04 - A fix for the bug where the particles from emitters
parented to moving armatures don't emit in the correct place. Thanks to Hos for this one!**

Another update, as always, extract into a copy of your tuhopuu directory. The changes are comitted to Tuhopuu, so I haven't provided a patch (let me know if you need one though). The file is here:

http://reblended.com/www/leon/thp_pdef.zip

Here are the changes..... bit of a mixed bag this time!

1) Particles
You can now key frame the particle deflector / gravity settings. Press the I key in the edit window and choose the relevant option to set a key frame. The IPO's themselves can be edited in the "Object" section of the IPO window (the settings are at the bottom of the list on the right of the window, underneath ColR, ColG etc).

I've also updated the progress indicator a bit, but you still can't kill the particle calculation. Will look into this soon....

2) Rendertime radiosity - textures lit by radio solution
I've added a new button in the material shader panel "RadioTex". If you enable this, the radiosity solution will light textures (so you don't need additional hemi's etc). Basically, it's a bit of a hack! But it seems to work ok.......

3) New texture map-to option "shadow"
This lets the texture affect the shadowing on a surface. It doesn't take into account the color of the texture. I really only coded this to teach myself a little about the rendering code, but maybe it's useful for someone!

Cheers

Leon
Last edited by leon on Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

Money_YaY!

Postby Money_YaY! » Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:41 am

Hi. You commented on an idea over at elysiun about fractal Particles. Could this be an idea you might look into testing ? If so I would love to help in research to find stuff for it.

The ideas beside fratical Particles for blender would be the implemetions of it.

Just quick ideas.
Remove the lock out on alt-a animation preview. This would allow the power to move a particle genarator around at freewill. Inturn it will collide when the recalculate bug is fixed. Added to it could be the automatic keyframe feature that allready exsits.

The fractal part is something else. But when all of the top part is ready then it would be possible to create the random interactive chaos that is fractals.

Sound fun :D

sebastian

Postby sebastian » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:03 pm

:arrow: Typo in title of post it should say: particles (and some render stuff) (07/03/2004) :!:

(just posting in case any one else got confused)

leon

Postby leon » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:41 pm

lol, thanks! I'm loosing track of time! I edited the title....

lucky3

Postby lucky3 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:22 pm

hi,

:D radioTex is really useful, this is what i was waiting for! thanks!

solmax

Postby solmax » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:33 pm

hi leon. as you're working on the particle's code, do you have any idea why parenting an emitter to an armature doesn't work? i.e., the emitter moves, but the particles are being genrated only on it's initial position.

greets

marin

lucky3

Postby lucky3 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:54 pm

solmax: in the particle panel, you must click "RecalcAll" button to update the particle system.

Caronte

Postby Caronte » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:49 pm

lucky3 wrote:solmax: in the particle panel, you must click "RecalcAll" button to update the particle system.

The particle system in Blender don't work with deformed meshes (Armatures, Lattices, RVK).
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

ilac

Re: particles (and some render stuff) (07/03/2004)

Postby ilac » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:54 pm

leon wrote:3) New texture map-to option "shadow"
This lets the texture affect the shadowing on a surface. It doesn't take into account the color of the texture. I really only coded this to teach myself a little about the rendering code, but maybe it's useful for someone!

No matter what I try, I cannot get this to work! :cry: WHat is it supposed to do exactly and what settings should I look out for? Maybe you have a demo blend I can check out please?

thanks! :D

leon

Postby leon » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:09 am

Hi Ilac,

It's nothing that impressive! Not sure if anyone has a use for it either: it was just a way of teaching myself a little about the render code.

Basically it just takes a texture and shadows the surface more where the texture is darker (reduces the diffuse and spec). It doesn't take the colour of the texture into account. There's an example blend here which should work ok - let me know if not.

Money_yay - I'd be interested in things that might use fractals to produce realistic natural effects with particles, rather than nice abstract images (although the images were very nice!). I didn't see anything like this in your links - let me know if you have something though.

Cheers

Leon

Money_YaY!

Postby Money_YaY! » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:41 am

leon wrote:
Money_yay - I'd be interested in things that might use fractals to produce realistic natural effects with particles, rather than nice abstract images (although the images were very nice!). I didn't see anything like this in your links - let me know if you have something though.

Cheers

Leon

You have Windows right ? Download itunes or Winamp, they both have Visulizers. itunes has them in 3D as OpenG particles, I am sure that winamp has something like that to.

Or there are TONs of plugins to add to the effects . One over here is matrix, it is a ffected by the music beats, and you can freeze them with pause to see how it looks , and some of them will let you rotate the view when frozzen and not. Very cool! OSX has lots of this OpenGL stuff, just nothing really in an edit program like blender. So that would be a godd market for blender to attack/ the DJ mixer effects market. Gene whatever you may call it. OF course GameBlender will have alot of this. But there needs to be inroads before Game is back. And Animator can do more than game as it is.

Sooooooo
if the animation lock out can be turned off that will be a start. I will look for more exaples, but it is really something you have to see and play with . Linux should have something to with this stuff. I will look for some specfic programs.

rhinoguy

Postby rhinoguy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:54 pm

Sorry, but this my first Tuhopuu installation - which failed. It says I need the SDL.dll installed. Where do I get this & where do I install it?

solmax

Postby solmax » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:59 pm

rhinoguy wrote:Sorry, but this my first Tuhopuu installation - which failed. It says I need the SDL.dll installed. Where do I get this & where do I install it?

first grab a complete tuhopuu installation
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3137

then download the binary found in the current thread and put it in your tuhopuu install dir.

enjoy particles

rhinoguy

Postby rhinoguy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:34 pm

Thank You. Installing & running just fine. But now I am having a problem with the particle system itself. My particles will emit in only one direction regardless of the orientation of the emitter (which is a simple subdivided mesh). In other words, the particles emit normal to the face in a certain direction. Even if I change the noraml force to a negative number or even flip over the emitter, they STILL go in the same direction! :x

solmax

Postby solmax » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:40 pm

hmm, maybe the "Recalc All" button will help ? Or try turning off SubD..

Return to “Testing Builds”