particles (and some render stuff) (07/03/2004) - updated

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

rhinoguy

Postby rhinoguy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:15 pm

Well, I just made a new mesh and used hash subdivide. It works the way I want it to now. So then I made a mesh tube, gave it particle deflection, and sent a stream of particles into it. Sweeeeet! This has GOT to be included in the next official release!!!!! :D

Apollux

Postby Apollux » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:46 am

You know, that thing of the particles not working with armature is a real oldie... somebody should take care of it since it really cuts down the usefullness of the whole particles system.

:?

rhinoguy

Postby rhinoguy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:39 pm

You know, that thing of the particles not working with armature is a real oldie...

You mean lattice, not armature (right?) Anyway, are you saying that this has been a known issue?! :o

Apollux

Postby Apollux » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:18 am

No, I meaned ARMATURES. Last time I checked particles worked just fine when sent trough a lattice (but I never tryed lattice-deforming the emitter).

And yes, it is a well known issue that has been around since the moment armatures arrived (Blender 2.22), yet, nobody has looked into a way to fix it. If I recall correctly, it is caused because particles are calculated before the deformations, but I'm not a devolper

leon

Postby leon » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:03 am

just a little bug fix update, see page!

ilac

Postby ilac » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:37 am

Apollux wrote:No, I meaned ARMATURES. Last time I checked particles worked just fine when sent trough a lattice (but I never tryed lattice-deforming the emitter).

And yes, it is a well known issue that has been around since the moment armatures arrived (Blender 2.22), yet, nobody has looked into a way to fix it. If I recall correctly, it is caused because particles are calculated before the deformations, but I'm not a devolper

Might be solvable with a python script. If I recall correctly, you can access the transformation of an object via its matrix - even when it is being moved by an armature. So you would use python to extract the data and then write the data to the ipo's of the particle emitter. Unparent it from the armature (or use an empty attched to the armature as data source) Hit recalculate and render!

Apollux

Postby Apollux » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:36 pm

leon wrote:just a little bug fix update, see page!

What page? Am I missing something here?

ilac, thanks for the info.. I guess that now I have a good excuse to learn python :D

leon

Postby leon » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:10 am

apollux- I have some bad news for you: you may not need to learn python after all! I've been taking a look at the particle emitter / armature bug this morning and thanks to Hos, it looks like this may be fixed!

For my simple test files, the emitter now moves with the armature.

I've committed the fix to Tuhopuu, and updated my binary on the first page. If you can test with files with complicated armatures etc, that would be great.

btw, I meant to say "page 1" rather than just "page"!!!

I haven't updated the code to take into account deflectors or attractors parented to armatures yet: due to the way particles are calculated, this may or may not be possible (could be a huge performance hit).

cheers

Leon

leon

Postby leon » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:37 pm

just a little update: there was a bug caused by the texture shadow map-to feature I put in (black lines every now and again on the render).

I've removed the texture shadow map option for now, and comitted to tuhopuu - the binary on the first page of this post is now updated.....

poutsa

Blend Files Tests wit Deflectors and Gravity Settings

Postby poutsa » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:27 am

I have some Particle Test Files using Deflectors where can i Upload this files for Download...????
I dont have a Internet Site!

Ciao

vassilios

Return to “Testing Builds”