Problems with windows builds?

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

frozenone

Problems with windows builds?

Postby frozenone » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:54 am

Hello there. i don't know is this the quite right place to report this, but if someone would know something... :)

I've tried now the two available release versions from blender3d.org and few CVS builds and running to a strange problem with WinXP. When i start blender it works smoothly for couple of minutes, but then it starts to freeze. It can take several seconds for the program to register my keypresses / mouse movements, even window focus lags from one to two seconds :/ And when it starts to freeze, it also eats quite a lot CPU time. Amount of available memory is still over 800MB and doesn't seem to be decreasing (if the taskmanager was supposed to show memory leaks?)

Linux version works fine... (so maybe i should use it be quiet;) Only difference between linux & windows setup is that in linux i haven't managed to get dualhead working properly.

So is this somekind of a driver / hardware issue or is there something wrong with the Blender & WinXP? System is P4 @ 2800MHz, 1G Ram, Ati Radeon 9000 PRO. 1280x1024 @ 32bit, and changing resolution didn't affect the problem. And i really wasn't doing anything heavy, i started to do that castle example from blender3d.org and after adding the first circle and extruding it, the freezing started...

solmax

Postby solmax » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:25 am

sorry to say that - but it sounds like a known problem with ATI cards - don't know abt. a solution.. anyway check out the elysiun.com forums, there is quite a large thread on that topic.

marin

Mel_Q

Postby Mel_Q » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:52 pm

solmax wrote:sorry to say that - but it sounds like a known problem with ATI cards - don't know abt. a solution.. anyway check out the elysiun.com forums, there is quite a large thread on that topic.

marin

I'm getting the same thing posted by frozenone, but with an Nvidia geforce2 mx200. A reboot fixes it, but when it happens it's pretty bad:
Everything slows to a crawl as far as Blender is concerned. Mouse input is lagged by several seconds, as are screen redraws and keyboard input. How bad? When I first started using (well- trying to) blender, it was on a 200 Mhz PentiumMMX with no 3d acceleration. It ran well compared to this slowdown I'm getting now.

System specs:
Athlon 2100xp (266FSB)
Abit KD7E motherboard, 512MB pc2100 DDR ram
geforce2 MX200 32MB
win 98se- and win xp home edition- both updated to the day.

If it would give me an error message or something, It would be less frustrating, but it doesn't crash- it just slows to a near stop...
Ideas

prospectvideo

ati xp 2.32 problem

Postby prospectvideo » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:36 am

I am also stumped as to why my blender is broken. I never seemed to have any noticeable problems with blender until I started using 2.32. With 2.32, I would start out fine but start lagging soon thereafter. I could refresh blender by exiting and restarting. My solution was to go back to 2.28 but guess what? Now 2.28 doesn't want to work the way it used to. Now it starts lagging after the first few commands as well.

SystemSpecs:

win xp pro
ver 2002
service pack 1
AMD athlon 1Ghz
1 GB of RAM
An infamous ATI radeon 8500 driver ver 6.14.10.6422

I keep waiting for more info to present itself here on the forum. Help......

prospectvideo

Postby prospectvideo » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:32 am

The Blender Gods have smiled upon me. My problem is solved with one little change. 16bit instead of 32bit in the display settings so don't blame ATI. Not only did it fix my problem, but now I know why my other windows box couldn't run Blender. Just waiting for the manual now!
BLENDBLENDBLEND................

Return to “Testing Builds”