Game Engine Issues

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Myles

No audio in 2.49b?

Postby Myles » Sat May 29, 2010 3:00 pm

This seems to be a common problem with some others at blender artist but i have not been able to find the solution for the life of me. The problem is that audio does not work on my computer. For some strange reason though, it works on our other computer. "Why?" has been the question for nearly five months! I can't use the other computer though because it overheats within 30 minutes. Also, whenever I download a file off the internet with sound, it doesn't work. Sound works fine with any other audio application, even other versions of blender, but not blender 2.49b and it's become quite a issue, and so far, not one of my games has sound which gets me really frustrated. Can someone please explain why this is happening? Until I figure out how to fix this, my games are going to be very lifeless...
Check out my artwork at picasaweb.google.com/mlalmond and click on "My Works".

wwood

Re: No audio in 2.49b?

Postby wwood » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Myles wrote:This seems to be a common problem with some others at blender artist but i have not been able to find the solution for the life of me. The problem is that audio does not work on my computer. For some strange reason though, it works on our other computer. "Why?" has been the question for nearly five months! I can't use the other computer though because it overheats within 30 minutes. Also, whenever I download a file off the internet with sound, it doesn't work. Sound works fine with any other audio application, even other versions of blender, but not blender 2.49b and it's become quite a issue, and so far, not one of my games has sound which gets me really frustrated. Can someone please explain why this is happening? Until I figure out how to fix this, my games are going to be very lifeless...

Hi, i have the same exact problem... :(

SolarLune

Postby SolarLune » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:33 am

Hey. So I've been working on getting sound to work in Blender 2.56, trying the basic sound block method as well as using Audaspace. I'll post my problems here, as BlenderArtists is down...

1) Used the basic Blender Sound Block method of playing sound. With SDL, the sounds are extremely lagged (they play around half a second late). With OpenAL, Blender crashes when playing two or more sounds at a time (I think).

2) Tried Pygame, but it uses SDL as well, I suppose, and so the lag was too much to work with that.

3) Tried Audaspace - it could've worked pretty well, but standalone executables wouldn't read the specified sound file, even though I KNOW that the sound file exists.

Does anyone know how to fix 1 or 3 (in particular)?
Check out my blog of game design and BGE tutorials at http://solarlune-gameup.blogspot.com/

pjpdev

Postby pjpdev » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:13 am

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I've ran into a little sound issue while playing around with Blender 2.56 Beta. Sound works fine in Blender, but when I run my demos with the blenderplayer there isn't any sound. Anyone got a solution for me please?

Thanks...

atr1337

Postby atr1337 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:00 am

I'll throw my hat into the ring here and say that I too am experiencing issues with Audio.

SDL works, but is way too lagged. OpenAL results with no audio and when it tries to play more than one at a time Blender crashes.

I've tried both logic bricks and Python with the same results.

Blender 2.56/Win7 32-bit

pjpdev

Postby pjpdev » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:45 pm

atr1337 wrote:I'll throw my hat into the ring here and say that I too am experiencing issues with Audio.

SDL works, but is way too lagged. OpenAL results with no audio and when it tries to play more than one at a time Blender crashes.

Blender 2.56/Win7 32-bit

Both SDL and OpenAL works fine for me, no lags or crashes. But I can't get any audio through the BlenderPlayer or when saving as a standalone.

I'm using 2.56 with Ubuntu 10.10. :?

atr1337

Postby atr1337 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:09 pm

pjpdev wrote:
atr1337 wrote:I'll throw my hat into the ring here and say that I too am experiencing issues with Audio.

Blender 2.56/Win7 32-bit

Both SDL and OpenAL works fine for me, no lags or crashes. But I can't get any audio through the BlenderPlayer or when saving as a standalone.

I'm using 2.56 with Ubuntu 10.10. :?

I think I read somewhere that if you are using logic bricks you might try packing the audio with the blend through file--external data--pack.

It should be noted that my problem seems to be the same that SolarLune is experiencing, I wonder if SolarLune is on Win7 as well. I had been using Pygame for audio and experienced the same laggy sound issues that I do using Blender's SDL implementation so I'm thinking that has something to do with SDL and Windows rather than Blender. I was hoping to get OpenAL working for the 3D positional audio features, and hoping it to be less laggy than SDL. I had implemented my own rudimentary positional audio using Python, but it's not nearly as nice as what Blender already has in place.

yasser-blender

particles

Postby yasser-blender » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:29 pm

I use Blender for 3D game dev. How I make a character irradiating fire like human torch.
Do the particle effex works on BGE?

angellion28

GEngineAdvices

Postby angellion28 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:28 pm

We want to create an RPG game for our thesis in school and we are dealing with problems in choosing a good engine for our game and as a newbie game creators, we wanted also to make a good sequence and twist of the story in the game. That's why we need your advices and tips that might help us to make this project successful. We totally appreciated your concern on this matter.
Anybody that can give us some help and advices regarding the RPG game creation using blender 3D software ap, and using python prog lang or game engines. this is for our thesis project, really need ur help. thank u very much..

Guillaume Côté

Re: GEngineAdvices

Postby Guillaume Côté » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:05 pm

angellion28 wrote:We want to create an RPG game for our thesis in school and we are dealing with problems in choosing a good engine for our game and as a newbie game creators, we wanted also to make a good sequence and twist of the story in the game. That's why we need your advices and tips that might help us to make this project successful. We totally appreciated your concern on this matter.

Hi angellion28.

You have lots of options for this problem and it all depends on what you have in your team. Let us take a look at your post.

"We want to create an RPG game" RPG games are one of the most complicated kind of game. There is a lot to know and to do for this type. I would recommend switching for something simpler like a platformer or a shooter but if you know what you are doing it is all good. I would still like to recommend you this video of a student that was in the portal team : http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8654403816

"choosing a good engine for our game" Hm... well you will probably want something free. In my knowledge, there are four good engine I can suggest you. Ogre3D, Unity, Unreal development kit (UDK) and the Blender Game Engine(BGE). They are all free or almost but you might want to take a look at the licence. Which is better? I don't know, they all have their forces and weaknesses. For what I know :

Unreal has a ton a pre-set for fps and it might be difficult to change that. However its power is proven as it has made a great number of best seller.
Unity seems to have less pre-set, might be easier to start with, and I have heard it can directly takes blend file.
I absolutely don't know Ogre3D, I can't talk about it
The great problem of the BGE, in my opinion, is the lack of documentation. You'll have to test and poke around a lot if you want to use it. However, it is directly included in the 3D creation suit which is really great. It gives you the power to change the 3D elements without having to go back and forth between programs.

"newbie game creators" Ouch, do you know coding a bit? If not, it will be hard to achieve what you want and you'll probably have to learn how to code. No matter what engine you take.

"make a good sequence and twist of the story in the game" Well, that's your thing, any engine can do this, it's up to you.

"That's why we need your advices and tips that might help us to make this project successful" Well, I would recommend using Blender for all the 3D creation. It is free and it works very well, no hesitation on that. For the game engine, the BGE might not be the best for you. I would recommend to poke on the others and look at some tutorials to have a good Idea of what engine you should take. If you would like to have more opinions and tips, I would recommend to post back on blender artist forum. It is more made for this kind of question and support. If you're still interested in Blender and the BGE (which I hope), I recommend you to take a look at this thread, I have posted some interesting links there.

Hope it helped!

Droghio

Postby Droghio » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:27 pm

I have the same issue, a group of friends and I are hoping to create a game, we had no idea which game engine to use. It is ironic, we never saw this post and yet choose essentially the same four engines.

We are probably going to use gamekit, gamekit is a more refined OrgeKit integrated with Bullet and Python. What is really nice about it is that it accepts blend files natively, so you can define logic and animations in blender, is cross platform, yes Android and iOS too, and free!

There are a few downsides, compiling for other systems is a bit of a hassle, especially if you are new to programming, but it does offer out of the box support for windows and mac.

I have a mac which means that it is difficult for me to use Unreal, I want more versatility, platform wise, than Unity, BGE is not the best and again I want to be able to port it to more platforms, namely iOS.

Licenses are also something to be cautious of, I believe Unity lets you make commercial games, UDK is free for free games, then $99 for small companies, but make over $50,000 and well they take 25% of all profits. Plain Orge is nice but might take time to configure, BGE has a GPL license meaning you have to be extremely careful when developing a commercial game to make sure it doesn't conflict with the license. What is nice about gamekit is that it is a MIT license, meaning you have more liberties when it comes to commercial games.

The engine you choose depends on the game you are making, fun fact GOW 3 uses UDK, but really all those game engines can produce amazing results.

A poor carpenter blames his tools, but a good one needs none.

Ok that might be a slight exaggeration but I think you get the point.

http://code.google.com/p/gamekit/

Guillaume Côté

Postby Guillaume Côté » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:35 am

I haven't tried gamekit yet. I've heard good things of it though. I guess I should give it a try soon.

For further details, Unity can be used to make games commercially, no cost, but they require you to purchase the professional version if you make more than 100 000$ with it.

orimouse

Bug ?

Postby orimouse » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:49 am

Hello everyone,

Don't know where to post this but it seems to be a small "bug"...
I did a search but couldn't find any post mentionning it.

In logic brick editor, the Actuator list doesn't show the Armature actuator.

I have to select another one, action actuator for exemple, and when I modify it, the Armature actuator becomes then available.

So, that's not really a big problem, but I really don't want to see it disappear from there too...

If someone could confirm it... or not ?

Thanks!

chmanfromegypt

rotate parented to armature object objects is differnt

Postby chmanfromegypt » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:02 pm

hi,it'sthe first time for me to write in blender's sites , but i realy confused ,,
in game engine i want to rotate a cube an angle while it's parnted to armature with automatic weighted which is scaled in pose ,,, the problem is when i rotate it while in design time it is no problem because it make the way i want (it rotate about the armature and change the way it scaled) ,, but when i rotate it while in game engine (i.e in playing time with motion actuator for example ) it is diffrent and rotate as a whole while scaled in cause of the scale of the armature pose
can any one help me ,,

chmanfromegypt

Re: rotate parented to armature object objects is differnt

Postby chmanfromegypt » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:08 pm

chmanfromegypt wrote:hi,it'sthe first time for me to write in blender's sites , but i realy confused ,,
in game engine i want to rotate a cube an angle while it's parnted to armature with automatic weighted which is scaled in pose ,,, the problem is when i rotate it while in design time it is no problem because it make the way i want (it rotate about the armature and change the way it scaled) ,, but when i rotate it while in game engine (i.e in playing time with motion actuator for example ) it is diffrent and rotate as a whole while scaled in cause of the scale of the armature pose
can any one help me ,,

i wrote this problem in http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26871 but no replay till now , so i saw that i must write here and explain::
the problem can further explained if you understand this steps in that way :
1- add a cube in scene
2- add an armature and put it in the middle of the cube
3- select the cube and then shift select the armature and press ctrl+p then select automatic weighted

http://blenderartists.org/forum/attachm ... 56&thumb=1

4- now enter the pose mode in 3D view and then scale the bone (bones) in any direction to say 0.1 or smaller or bigger

http://blenderartists.org/forum/attachm ... 33&thumb=1

5- now select or return to object mode
6- now select the cube alone and then go to properties --> object --> transform --> Rotation
and change any angle there , say change the angle about x to 60 for example ,,, what do you notice ?

http://blenderartists.org/forum/attachm ... 79&thumb=1

you notice that the cube which scaled due to the scale of it's parent armature in pose mode , rotate but not as a whole but the direction of scaling or the projection of scaling what is changing

that's not the problem but on the contrary that's what exactly what i want
the problem is that this same effect don't happen in game, i.e when you rotate or change the cube rotation angles (with motion actuator rotate or python ), the cube rotate as whole , as i rotate the armature itself in design time , or as i apply the modifier which appear in the cube when you make the parent to armature although of course i didn't do it

can any body till me how to make the cube do the rotation behavior while in game as it do in the design time
and thank you for all for this blender program in youth of egypt ,, any way

Return to “Interactive 3d”