Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon RealNetworks Realeases Helix GPL

engalicorn

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:08 am
New Helix Encoding Decoding Package From Realnetworks
http://www.realnetworks.com/company/press/releases/2002/helix_community2.html

On October 29, 2002 RealNetworks realeased the source code for their new product line called Helix. It uses multi-platform technology which may help fill the gap in the UNIX streaming video and coverage. This is an amazing GPL architecture that leaves Windows Media benchmarks in the dust. From the benchmarks tested by a third party comapany the technology had a throughput of over 2x that of the new Windows Media Play 9 Beta, while running on a Linux server compared to a Windows 2000 server (http://www.realnetworks.com/solutions/leadership/performance.html).

The source code for the client allows people to intergrate the following into their applications:

• RealAudio G2
  • RealAudio 8
  • RealVideo G2
  • RealVideo 7
  • RealVideo 8
  • RealVideo 9

RealNetworks says " within sixty days (end of December) the Helix DNA Producer and Helix DNA Server will be available".
With Helix Producer and Server avaliable the Blender community may have the capability to convert blender content into a very usable format where the entire internet community would be able to view the content, boosting Blender's reputation. Not having to wait for long and dreary downloads, users will be able to view content almost instantly with the new TurboPlay(TM) technology.
Quote:
Through TurboPlay, broadband PC users get near-instant playback of streaming audio and video. TurboPlay dramatically reduces the time it takes to load or buffer a clip prior to playback by intelligently utilizing available bandwidth on a broadband connection...

This makes a very attractive package for delivering Blender content all over the internet. The applications it could be used in development, general entertainment, and product awareness.

More Information can be found at:
https://www.helixcommunity.org/

Last edited by engalicorn on Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total

ton

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:20 pm
Interesting... and it works for win, lin and osx already.
Someone out there can check their license? They've made their own version, but it's very difficult to see how it can work with GNU GPL.

A poll is pretty useless, until we've got some field reports from engineers about the actual functionality of the libs.
Personally, I was hoping the OpenML initiative would develop faster...
http://www.khronos.org/openml/index.html

Audio and video in Blender is a hot topic, I agree. Something that lacks a lot of features now, and should be put to a higher level soon.

Bluejay

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:59 pm
Let me throw in my totally uneducated opinion Smile

If a web based distribution of audio and video were the goal (something in addition to the Blender Web Plug-in), I would think Flash support might be a better option than Real.

Flash has better penetration (more browsers can view Flash files without dl'ing a plug-in). To my knowledge there are fewer privacy concerns with Flash (http://grc.com/downloaders.htm). I have read the licensing for the Flash file format, and I can't see anything incompatible with the agreement and the GPL, but I am not a lawyer either.

The downside: although there is the documentation and the file specification, there are no code libraries offered by Macromedia. It would be more work to support Flash than integrating the Real libraries.

An additional Web-oriented export is probably towards the bottom of the list of priorities anyway.

engalicorn

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:59 am
Bluejay wrote:
Let me throw in my totally uneducated opinion Smile

If a web based distribution of audio and video were the goal (something in addition to the Blender Web Plug-in), I would think Flash support might be a better option than Real.

Flash has better penetration (more browsers can view Flash files without dl'ing a plug-in). To my knowledge there are fewer privacy concerns with Flash (http://grc.com/downloaders.htm). I have read the licensing for the Flash file format, and I can't see anything incompatible with the agreement and the GPL, but I am not a lawyer either.

The downside: although there is the documentation and the file specification, there are no code libraries offered by Macromedia. It would be more work to support Flash than integrating the Real libraries.

An additional Web-oriented export is probably towards the bottom of the list of priorities anyway.

Flash is a commercail product without source code. If we were to explore the options of Flash then we would have to be prepared to pay for it.

And in responce to Ton's comment about the GPL. This could pose a problem however it looks like you can use the technology in any open source project. However persons working on the code must register first.

Hielix is still very new so we must look at how it develops. Right now the producer code has yet to be released so we have a while to review different options.

Colin

matt_e

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 7:10 am
engalicorn wrote:

Flash is a commercail product without source code. If we were to explore the options of Flash then we would have to be prepared to pay for it.

And in responce to Ton's comment about the GPL. This could pose a problem however it looks like you can use the technology in any open source project. However persons working on the code must register first.

Hielix is still very new so we must look at how it develops. Right now the producer code has yet to be released so we have a while to review different options.

Although the Flash creation program by Macromedia is closed source, the SWF specifications are open, and there are quite a few other programs that can create SWFs, including some open source libraries (with connections to perl and PHP among other things), however the OSS implementations don't seem to be as feature-complete and up to date as the commercial offerings. As far as I know there aren't any OSS SWF creation programs like Macromedia's Flash software.

Anyway, RealVideo and Flash are about two different things. RealVideo is a video format to compress your AVI renderings into, Flash is more about vector animation, and there are many plugins from other 3d packages that export the scene information to 2d vectors, which is of course much smaller (filesize) than rendering it all out to raster images. Now FlashMX can import and embed video into SWFs and utilises the Sorenson codec for compression. There are no open-source implementations of Sorenson available (to my knowledge anyway, it's not an open spec.). So for an OSS project, you'd still need a way to compress the video which you may be embedding into a SWF, but then it gets complicated.

In any case, the two options of Flash support and RealVideo support can co-exist and complement each other very peacefully, with Flash used for more simplistic vector animation, and RealVideo used to compress full-on renderings with effects etc. for the web. Of course, somebody would need to code it all, which would be the major barrier, but having both Flash and RealVideo support would be very nice for Blender Smile

Jump to: