particle (bf-blender) windows 24/4/2004 *updated*

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

leon

particle (bf-blender) windows 24/4/2004 *updated*

Postby leon » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:39 pm

hi all,

** Updated - I've modified the damping code to fix a few issues I found. There's a new patch, and you will also need buttons_effects.c - put in source/blender/src. The exe for windows below is updated, and here are the new files:

http://reblended.com/www/leon/bfpatch5.txt
http://reblended.com/www/leon/buttons_effects.c

I've worked a bit on the particle effect UI (by popular demand!). I don't have time to implement Monkeyboi's complete new effects tab (good though it is), but I have a created a new effects tab (between the current "object" and "editing" tabs). It contains the current effects panel, and the particle interaction panel. Thanks to S68 for the icon design!

There's still a fair bit of work before I submit it (plenty of code to clean up, and few deflection bugs I've noticed that need ironing out).

Here's a windows bf-blender (exe only):

http://reblended.com/www/leon/bf-blender.zip

There's a patch here if you want to try and give it a go on a different OS. It's a big patch at about 400k (mainly due to adding a new icon!), so no guarantees it will work though!

** see above **

All testing results helpful!

Cheers

Leon
Last edited by leon on Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GFA-MAD

Postby GFA-MAD » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:29 pm

Thanks a lot Leon. :D

I will test it as soon as I could. And of course I will give feedback.

GFA-MAD

GFA-MAD

Postby GFA-MAD » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:10 pm

OK Leon, I've tried it.

I like the new Icon and this effect is so cool. It works very well (I tried a little anim) and I find it is well integrated in Blender. I hope it will be a full part of future release.

The only thing I've notice is that we must raise the number of Keys in order to avoid 'sinus like' bouncing. That's logic, of course, but is it possible to have adaptive keys in order to add keys only where they are needed (when bouncing for exemple) ?

But except this little detail, it's perfect and a great job is done. Again, a new great feature comes with Blender. :D

leon

Postby leon » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:52 pm

thanks GFA!

not sure about adaptive keys, it might require too much modification of the effects code (and possibly just as much calculation time anyway!)

But its a good idea, and something to think about for the future..

Cheers

Leon

llunasol

Postby llunasol » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:49 am

Great Leon, looks very good that new tab for particles.

The fact that you hace reelased your particles additions as a bf-blender instead of as tohopuu means that we can expect to have it on the next official Blender 2.33 release? That would be wonderful news.

leon

Postby leon » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:31 am

hi llunasol,

There's some way to go before it gets into an official release!

I'm putting it in my copy of bf-blender since the next step is to submit a patch to the bf-committers mailing list. I'm sure there will be lots of work I'll need to do after that!

So it won't be in 2.33, but you never know about 2.34!

Cheers

Leon

Ghost

Postby Ghost » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:52 pm

Leon, you are doing a great work on the particle system, particularly on exposing the particle interaction parameters to the IPO Window.
The new effects tab looks good too. A minor thing: Are there a reason why the Particle Interaction Panel isn't dockable?

Regards
Kasper

sector0

Postby sector0 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:37 pm

This is awesome, love the changes. Only thing that has been bugging me is when you hit the "esc" key. Is it possible for the particle system to NOT recalculate the particles after hitting the escape key? A lot of the times I will try and change something (scale or what not) then change my mind and hit esc, then I have to wait 5 mins for them to recalc..

Other than that, I love the changes on the damp, it works much much better. I don't have stray parts shooting off now.

Monkeyboi

Postby Monkeyboi » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:07 am

Great work! I like the Effects buttons icon. Hopefully someone can finish the Effects window thing one day. If enough time passes I might even be able to do that myself, too bad I can't code or I would gladly implement it.

Blendorphin

Postby Blendorphin » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:15 am

hey Monkeyboi:

Me, (aka blenergetic) f00f, and WeirdHat will most likely work on the Effects window after we finish the edit buttons (which should be soon...)
so look for updates on the Elysiun thread! :D

Monkeyboi

Postby Monkeyboi » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Cool. Very cool. Did you see the new Object buttons proposal too?

The thing:
http://www.shadeless.dk/ui/objectbuttons.htm

Forum:
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3507

You are free to comment but don't do it here in this thread.

Cheers mate.

PS
What is your feeling about when the render buttons and edit buttons will be committed? 2.33?

Return to “Testing Builds”