Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon 2.2.5b How to build and install on Linux?

dbhost

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:20 am
I am currently running 2.2.3 on Mandrake Linux, and I would like to run the gpl released version on my machine. I downloaded the tarball and unpacked it. There are MAKEFILEs in every directory and not a README in sight. Is there documentation somewhere I am missing on how to build this thing? How about somebody packaging this thing in .rpm for us RH and similar system users?

S68

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:45 pm
The tarball is still far from being download/unpack/compile/install.

There will be some time before the programmers team will set up it this way Smile

Stefano

dbhost

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:50 pm
I will be waiting anxiously.

kevinP

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:15 am
Confused i think it would be more upstanding of you to take the sources off of the site and admit to charging for the product.

Surreptitious attempts at co-opting of the open source movement is not very nice nor commendable. Broken code doesn't do us any good. Code without documentation/comments is broken. Code that doesn't compile is broken. I'm not asking for RPMs or .debs. I'd be happy with a README and a makefile that works. If it needs older libraries because it is old code... cool. I can deal with that. If it needs a certain file in a certain place then cool. I can symlink it. But code that looks for directories it is supposed to create then doesn't find them and therefore doesn't compile is definitely broken.

Maybe you could offer the old compile-able code. It won't be up-to-date but at least it will be usable. Or maybe you could post how the developer machines are set up so that we can compile and use the CVS version. I know you guys have to have some way of compiling for yourselves. Or just admit that you don't want us to compile it. I'm cool with capitalism.

Why is this? Please tell me I'm completely wrong about you guys.

I've used the older software so I know it compiled at one time. And I even bought the first book. I was looking forward to your Publisher book but I'm glad I waited to order.

again, tell me I'm wrong...

kevin

kevinP

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:39 am
Embarassed i take back about 1/4 of my sentiments in that last email...

i saw the post saying there was code documentation online but if that referred to the NaN Intranet Developer Docs then you should know that they don't download. Everything else downloaded fine. Those docs start to download but fail. Would those docs contain the information necessary to compile from cvs?

If so then I take back everything and I apologize. i just quite upset with folks that try to misuse an ideal.

ciao,
kevin

SirDude

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:37 am
The big problem here is were going from say 20 machines that were all setup as
development platforms for blender to hundreds of machines installed any which way
without all of the support libraries installed.

As I understand it lots of the developers didn't even do an entire build from start to
finish. They had the makefiles all setup in place on the machines and when they
would modify code would rebuild their section and thats about it.

If you download the cvs01 cvs stuff there is a README in the main directory
as well as some extra documentation that it points to. That should get you at least
started on a build and hopefully far enough along for you to search for specific questions.

The make system worked and they didn't need to make it friendly for people to use so were
now trying to add that in.

QuickSHADOWMAN

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:58 am
First let me say hello to all. This is my first time on here, and I am looking for the easiest way to get Blender up and running on my Linux platform. Not only am I a newbie to Blender, but I am still in the learning curve for Linux as well.

I would appreciate any and all help to getting Blender up and running on Linux. I am using Mandrake 8.2, with the KDE desktop, and Mozilla 1.1 browser, on a system that I built around July of last year. A Pentium IV, 1.7GHz and 512MBs SDRAM, with 2 Seagate 40GB HDs(one for Windows 98SE and the other for Mandrake 8.2), as I will be developing in both formats.

Oh yes, I am not really caught up on all the lingo as I am self-taught, so most abbrevations go over my head. So please spell everything out, so I can understand what is being said. Thank you.

I hope everyone had a good holiday season.

Rich, Aka: QuickSHADOWMAN

Clawz

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:03 pm
Its pretty easy in Linux actually.

1. get the NaN Publisher 2.25 from the downloads on this site (+ the key file)

blender-publisher-2.25-linux-glibc2.1.2-i386.tar.gz

Unpack in some dir: tar xvzf "blenderfile"

cd to the dir and run ./blenderpublisher in a terminal

then load the key file you downloaded in the "file" menu.

get some tutorials, take a deep breath and stop yourself from screaming out loud over the userinterface - you'll learn pretty fast Wink

Enjoy.

meekrob

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:27 pm
Gentoo has an ebuild that downloads, compiles and installs blender. I'm impressed; it's much more responsive on my laptop than the old binary version.

It is an 'unstable' package, so if you don't change your configuration you will download the older binary blender.

Meekrob

Jump to: