UV texturing

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:54 am

How I did it: I selected all the faces on the head in face select mode using the B Key Border select. I went around the model and made sure all the faces were selected. Then in face select mode, pressed U Key over a 3D window and chose 'sphere' for the type of UV unwrap**. That put a similar looking UV layout in the image window, to what you see in that screenshot. Keeping all that selected, I loaded up my texture map, and there it is. I did a bit of tweaking of the UV co-ordinates in the image window to get it to line up better and to eliminate uneven texture stretching across certain faces.

Since Blender's image window UV layout editor only works on faces, if you try to move a vertex on its own it'll only move it for that face. other vertices that belong to other faces will stay in the same spot (hard to describe). The work around I found for that, when laying out the UVs is to use B Key border select to select all the vertices that occupy a single point at the same time.

The warping of the faces in the UV layout is due to the method of unwrapping. The ones built in to Blender (cube, sphere, cylinder, etc.) are adequate for a lot of tasks, but they're not that great. Apparently, there are some other UV unwrap python scripts that do a better job; I haven't tried them myself.

I think you need to experiment a bit more with the U Key in face select mode and you'll see what I mean.

One thing that annoys me about Blender's totally opaque interface is that people just don't know that features are there. Blender's a lot more powerful than most people think, but they don't know, because short of reading through reams and reams of manuals, all the featuers are hidden away, completely oblivious to the user. A shame really, and I hope we can make some progress in this area now it's open sourced

** Actually just looking in v2.25 that I downloaded from this site, it doesn't seem to have the 'sphere' option for UV unwrap, thought 2.23 does. That's weird. Anyone know why this is?

Pablosbrain

Postby Pablosbrain » Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:09 am

There is a python script called uvunwrapper... it does that very exact thing... either that or you can also use a spherical mapping on head-like objects... Blenders capabilities include almost everything one needs for creating very realistic images and very good animation.

All else that is needed is time.

jeotero

Postby jeotero » Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:27 am

and talent ;)

alltaken

Postby alltaken » Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:49 pm

[i hang my head in shame and recall everything i said about blender :oops: :oops: :oops: ]

you are right there is no documentation on these things in blender.
i have read through about 60+ hours of tutorials and info on the blender interface and still know only half of it or less (well i think i know most of it but i learn somthing new everyday)

ok i revise my original post and replace it with
THE UV TEXTURING SYSTEM NEEDS A FEW MINOR ADJUSTMENTS.

such as the use of the "L-KEY" to select a face.
a WELD option where the verts are welded to the equvilent on another face.
and smarter unfold options.

[I also eat my boot :oops: :oops: :oops: ]

documentaion would be nice for all these hiden features :D :D :D :D :D

Pablosbrain

Postby Pablosbrain » Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:29 pm

We've all learned to like the taste of our boots while learning blender. Especially if you've come from other apps like max, lightwave or maya... :lol:

gimp_child

Postby gimp_child » Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:16 am

alltaken wrote:
such as the use of the "L-KEY" to select a face.
a WELD option where the verts are welded to the equvilent on another face.
and smarter unfold options.

Yes, and maybe a whole slew of features too.

If you guys could do it, maybe some uv features and tools to mimic, rival, or even surpass that of sofimage XSI 2.0 would be an eye popper. Im not promoting XSI in any way, but the texturing tools for that software is the best ive ever seen, all else dosenot work for me. If only Blender's uvw tools are as advanced :D....

Haunt_House

Postby Haunt_House » Sun Dec 01, 2002 3:18 am

I still learn some new features when I browse through the manual.

Last one I found was Alt-Vkey in 3d-window for adjusting a plane to the proportions of the image texture.

Often the question is not 'does blender have it' but 'where is it'

greetings

alltaken

Postby alltaken » Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:50 pm

yeah thats the problem somones already done the work.

but where did they do it.

alt Vkey eh that is good to know.

bluedemon1975

UV Bumpmaps?

Postby bluedemon1975 » Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:19 am

Im kinda new to the 3d world so forgive me if sound nutz. Ive noticed that in other progs that you can do both uv maps and bump maps in the same fashion. Say Im texturing a face and I go to face select mode use the u key... and move around the verticies to match the texture. Is it possible to do a bump map(normal) in the same way after applying the texture? :?

Pablosbrain

Postby Pablosbrain » Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:28 am

True... once a UV map has been established you can apply different images or pracedural textures to the different channels or layers of a material... color/difuse, bump/normal, specularity/shinyness, alpha and so on... some 3D apps also allow you to have different UV maps for each channel. A single image could be used as both the color/diffuse channel of a material and the bump/normal channel of a material. a UV map is just a way of saying this part of an image shows up on this part of the mesh... Doesn't matter what image it is... Hope that answers your question...

Dani

Postby Dani » Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:19 pm

hep, you can use UV maps as bumps maps, color maps, or whatever other channel... just must do it the right way :)

have a look here:
http://membres.lycos.fr/bobois/Tuts/uvm ... ing01.html

basically you map your color map with assigned uvs.... then you load the spec, bump whatever... into blender (through the UV window or the texture)
Create a new material, new textures (as much as the number of different maps you'll apply) and reload your pics there.
You assign each texture to a channel (specs, nor, col) and then you hit on "UV" for each texture...

Hum? not sure I'm being clear :/

Dani

thorax

UV mapping

Postby thorax » Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:26 am

I found out recently (look in the news forum)
that UV mapping has problems with it, it incorrectly
maps from a the camera into UV coordinates..

Anyhow, Maya uses something called a shell, this sounds like the
net method. I know what you are saying, you mean instead of
having individual polygon quads you have a mesh of quads
like you see in the 3D view.. Even better is if you could have a UV
mesh that is projected from a 3D view in realtime so you
can take your object and deconstruct it yoruself or have it unwrapped,
b ut eventually projected onto the UV plane as a UV plane project
is nothing but viewport made different.

Also I've wondered about having all the same features you have in the viewport for working with your 3D objects in the UV mapping port,
like smooth, the magnet tool, rotate, etc.. The problem is the transliteration of the concept of UV mapping from a 3D view..
UV mapping allows you, as it is in blender, to repeat textures (by
remapping the same quads to the same texture), flipping an image on a
quad (flip the quad in the UV plane), rotate textures on the object (rotate the UV quads or quad meshes).. But it could offer features
like link-select (which you can do in the regular viewports for
3D.. So why not just make another scene which represents the UV mapping from another scene and UV map stuff there with all the
usual 3D tools.. Hey did you know blender can already do this..
There are features that allow you to project UV coordinates from the camera into a mesh, this feature existed way back since the early blenders.. It also allows you to inherit the UV coordinates from another
mesh, so say create a mesh, assign UV coordinates to it, you
can model it into different shapes then take the original
and modify UV coordinates on it and those are transferred to
the new, given they both have the same number of vertices..
Also its possible to do morphs using this feature..

This feature should be convered in Blender 1.5 manual,
I haven't done it in a long time, so it may not be there anymore..

Bischofftep

Material Indices integrated with Face Selection?

Postby Bischofftep » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:15 pm

Heya:

One of the great uses of the Material Indices, as well as the vertex groups, is to give you some "subgroups" that you can select and manage from session to session. While it is possible to use "tab" to go between edit mode and face select mode, giving you access to the materials index functionality in face select mode would be a big help.

Especially if you're using UV mapping as a texture mapping mode: this would be extremely handy!

-Bischofftep

ec2

UV Mapping Made Easy

Postby ec2 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:42 pm

Recently I had a question regarding UV Mapping. I was glad to find a very easy and clean solution, recommended to me by Serialsiner over in the Elysiun Q&A fourm.

There is an Import/Export script available called Obj toIO.py, written by Chris Lynch (Be sure to read the script notes before running it). This will export your mesh objects from Blender in the .obj file format.

Once exported you can open them in Steve Cox's UV Mapper Classic, which is freeware for personal and commercial use. It will unwrap your exported .obj file into Planar, Box, Cyndrical, Cydrical Cap, and Spherical Texture Maps. Its excellent.

After it is Unwrapped in the manner you choose, you can save the Texture Map as a .bmp for use as a template in your favorite image editor. Be sure to save from your image editor in a Blender supported image format.

But here is the best part. After you save your UV Map, you can also save the model again from UV Mapper (I recommend not exporting the materials, since you will be making you own texture).

Next, use the Obj toIO.py script import your model back into Blender. Apply a Material, and open an image window. With your model selected, hit the F key (keyboard). You should see your mesh laid out with the same UV calcualtion you chose in UV Mapper! Now, load the Texture map template you saved from your image editor. You should see your mesh overlays the template as needed. Hit the F key again, then in the Materials window, set the TexFace button to on. Once your scence is setup, render.

Good luck.

Here is the link to the original thread.

Thanks to Serialsiner, Chris Lynch and Steve Cox. Thanks to JamesK also for his theory and technique contributions.

alltaken

Postby alltaken » Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:48 pm

see thats the kinda thing i am talking about being native in blender.

SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THAT STUFF.

but hey thanks for the info coz that might come in hany.

(just hope blender can start cutting out the middle men, perhaps a way cooler plugin system will make blender a VERY powerful tool)

Alltaken

Return to “Interface & Tools”