animation cycle problem

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

kat

animation cycle problem

Postby kat » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:53 pm

[snipped from Elysiun]
This has been puzzling me for quite some time and I can't figure out what's causing it. When I did a search for this quite a bit of stuff came up but nothing to do with this particular problem... [EDIT]additional search here didn't reveal anything on this issue either

I've got a character set up with bones (no IK, constraints etc) posing the mesh at various keyframes 1->35. Frames 1 and 35 are currently duplicates (so the poses could be matched) for 'target' purposes when creating the walk cycle and when this is played back it obviously plays the same pose for 2 frames (1 and 35) so the final animation is set to play frames 1->34 so the start/end pose is played only once (frame 35 isn't played).

Now the thing I can't figure out is this; I noticed during playback that there's a small 'hickup' or 'pause' which kinda makes the cycle 'kick' at the start/end of the cycle and this happens regardless as to what frame numbers are being played through (1->35, 1->34 or 1->xx). As a result I can't figure out if my animation is incorrect or there's a playback issue with Blender. I'm assuming it's something to do with the way I've set the character up..?! Has anyone had/noticed this before??

The wierd thing is that when I originally started the animation cycle in Blender 2.25 this problem wasn't there and the walk cycle played through without any hickups - even when running the duplicated start/end frames 1->35..!

I should add the poses are not set to each frame but to certain 'key' frames relying thus on the interpolation going on - which is currently 'bezier' with extended mode set to 'constant'. Setting the extended mode to 'cyclic' et-al doesn't change or remove this start/end issue..

Watch the characters left leg - the bones marked 'xxxx.L - in the following flash anim (c.500kb sorry not got an avi exported yet) you'll see that leg 'kick' rather tha smoothly make the transition from start - >end -> startframes.
http://www.btinternet.com/~kenbeyer/fil ... _side4.swf

[EDIT]A chap on Elysiun mentioned he'd seen this as well and was non-plused by why the problem seems to happen
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25966

henti

Postby henti » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:32 pm

I had the same problem in walk animations, but it's appeared only in 3d preview window, the rendered animation was correct. I don't know why.

theeth

Postby theeth » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:34 pm

You probably both have the Synch option turned ON. Scene settings (F10), Anim Playback tab (the little wavy arrow).

For more technical info as to why this option does that, refer to thread on elysiun (I replied there too).

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

henti

Postby henti » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:34 pm

Maybe you should set the end handles of the ipo curve to make a smooth transition, try it with cyclic interpolation.

kat

Postby kat » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:39 pm

@ henti : yup been doing that, still trying some other options
@ theeth : Thanks. I'll reply in that thread.

Return to “Animation”