Blender.org Problems

Feedback to the Blender Foundation and the moderators of this website

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Timothy

Blender.org Problems

Postby Timothy » Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:55 pm

Hey everyone,

As you may have noticed we've had quite a bit of start up problems.

The biggest problem was ofcourse the quite obvious downtime we experienced due to an overloaded server. This has been mainly caused because right now Blender.org is running on a temporary server since due to a misunderstanding our previous provider took our other server offline a bit too early.
We are working on getting a new server up and running, but this will take atleast another few days (we'll keep you informed).

Another problem we had was with the html of the website. Due to the very limited time we had to design the website we found ourselves implementing the finishing touches of the design just hours before the launch. Unfortunately during the implementation of this design a bug popped up, which delayed the opening of blender.org for a few hours.

For the same reason as above we also didn't have time to do many browser tests. Infact we only tested the design to work in IE 6.0. Most visitors of this website indeed use that browser. But we do realize that still quite alot of people use other browsers and we strive to make this website compatible with atleast the following browsers:
- IE 4.0+
- Netscape 4.0 +
- Opera 6.0 +
- mozilla 1.0 +

To achieve this goal we already started rewriting quite a bit of HTML, and sofar this has been tested to work in IE 6.0+ and Mozilla 1.1+
But we're working on getting more support.

What you can expect from us over the next week:
- full browser support for the list above
- hopefully a stable website / server

If you have any specific problems, please post them in this post and I'll try to take care of them as fast as possible.

Greetings,
Timothy

dittohead

Postby dittohead » Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:46 pm

thanx kib for the heads up...

BTW-----it works in mozilla 1.01 now thanx for the hard work everyone!!! :D

k-fish

Re: Blender.org Problems

Postby k-fish » Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:24 am

Kib_Tph wrote:- IE 4.0+
- Netscape 4.0 +
- Opera 6.0 +
- mozilla 1.0 +

I guess you can drop NS4 support. It is getting a really small user base. And as far as NS6 and NS7 go, if it works in Mozilla, it'll work there, unless the NS people really broke something...

Otherwise, good work so far :) Though I like the green coloured look better - maybe add themes?

xype

Postby xype » Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:41 am

k-fish wrote:I guess you can drop NS4 support. It is getting a really small user base.

I know that a lot of people who would port Blender to other platforms (like IRIX) still run NS4, and also if Blender is opensource already, we might try to make it accessible to as many people as possible.

I would surely like to do layers stuff, too, but then, that would serioulsy piss off a lot of people...

Timothy

Postby Timothy » Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:29 pm

yes, I really want ns4 support, especially since a fairly large sponsor really wants that aswell :)
Besides it shouldn't be all TOO hard to do, it's only html (eek!! forget I said that)

Greets,
Timothy

AshleyHarris

Maybe some more features?

Postby AshleyHarris » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:11 pm

Hey everybody

my $.02, I mean, I know you lot are trying to fix up the HTML and figure out some compilation problems with the sources, but, after that's all done;

I'd really like to see a huge tutorial list on blender.org, there are thousands out on the net, just search for 'blender tutorial' at google or the like, and you'll see the need for a centralised list of them.

Also, binary downloads would be nice, not every graphic designer has a copy of C++ or whatever just lieing around, or, even then have the skills to use it (I can't compile someone elses tic-tac-toe game without 40 errors or so popping up, blender would be like 5000, none of which I could fix, plus, I asume all internal comments would be in Dutch, which I can't read anyway)

Anyway, good luck with the HTML and server problems, I know how hard it is to 'Netscape' a HTML page. :-)

Ashley

xype

Re: Maybe some more features?

Postby xype » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:43 pm

AshleyHarris wrote:Hey everybody

Hello,

AshleyHarris wrote:I'd really like to see a huge tutorial list on blender.org, there are thousands out on the net, just search for 'blender tutorial' at google or the like, and you'll see the need for a centralised list of them.

I think blender.org will serve as the "development platform" for blender, meaning it will be there for coders mainly. From what I know a "product page" is also planned, where all the tutorial links, binaries, e-shop merchandise and general information will be on. A "About Blender" page on this site would be nice as well, though.

AshleyHarris wrote:Also, binary downloads would be nice, (snip) I asume all internal comments would be in Dutch, which I can't read anyway)

It's planned to upload the latest stable binaries really soon now, and dutch is not that hard to read if you know english or german :)

xitnalta

Re: Maybe some more features?

Postby xitnalta » Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:42 pm

AshleyHarris wrote:I'd really like to see a huge tutorial list on blender.org, there are thousands out on the net, just search for 'blender tutorial' at google or the like, and you'll see the need for a centralised list of them.

That's exactly what I was proposing in an email about what to include in the official documentation effort that is inevitable to emerge from all NaN stuff that's going to be available. Here is the corresponding extract:

Code: Select all

- Documentation: what it contains
  - Raw compilation of former NaN documentation
    - In original format
    - Converted for incorporation into this doc. tree
  - Developer's manual
    - Basic guide to the (structure of the) source code
      - How to compile it
    - Coding guidelines
      - Making suitable comments for doc. writers
    - Architecture guide (or the Big Guide to the Source Code)
      - Libraries
      - Modules
      - Plug-ins
  - User's manual (equivalent to Blender 2.0 Guide)
    - Introductions to the various aspects of Blender
    - Functional reference to Blender (user perspective)
      - implemented
      - proposed, discussed, and accepted (ToDo for developers)
    - Python API (up-to-date and complete!)
    - GameBlender
  - Archive of third-party resources
    - Pointer to the "how-to part" for migration to this official doc. tree
    - Links to elysiun.com tutorials
    - Links to IngieBee / old blender.nl tutorials
    - Book recommendations

This is just a part of my ideas and nothing official. But as you see, I'd like to have the "user side" of documentation within this "developer site". And since the documentation is as free as the code (probably using the GNU FDL), everybody can provide a copy on another website (such as a "Blender User" website or similar). Tutorials should first be only linked to, since it is very important to have the proper license applied to every single piece of documentation before and when embedding third-party stuff into the official docs.
Felix

S68

Postby S68 » Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:29 am

Kib,

don't know if you noticed my post down here.

Both with netscape 7.0 and IE 5 whn I'm IN the forum every unread message stays unread, even if I read it :?:

If I go OUT from the forum and then IN again (not logging off, just going somewhere else on the site, the home page for example) every unread message is marked read, even if I never read them...

/me is puzzled...

Thanx in advance

Stefano

Timothy

Postby Timothy » Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:15 pm

probably cooklie issue,.. will look into it

S68

Postby S68 » Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:50 pm

Thanx :)

Stefano

calli

Postby calli » Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:48 pm

I am just using NS 4.61 on SGI IRIX, and it does not look nice but it works! ;-)

Carsten

k-fish

Postby k-fish » Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:36 pm

xype wrote:
k-fish wrote:I guess you can drop NS4 support. It is getting a really small user base.

I know that a lot of people who would port Blender to other platforms (like IRIX) still run NS4, and also if Blender is opensource already, we might try to make it accessible to as many people as possible.

Well, I just meant that you should not spend too much effort on making it look as good on NS4. I really know how hard that can be.
xype wrote:I would surely like to do layers stuff, too, but then, that would serioulsy piss off a lot of people...

Not necessarily. You can do amazing stuff that works on all browsers alike (if you really want an example, go to www.neudorff.de), even if using layers and JavaScript heavily.

k-fish

Postby k-fish » Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:38 pm

Kib_Tph wrote:yes, I really want ns4 support, especially since a fairly large sponsor really wants that aswell :)

Ok, that counts more than anything else. ;)

Kib_Tph wrote:Besides it shouldn't be all TOO hard to do, it's only html (eek!! forget I said that)

hehe :wink: done!

Debaser

Postby Debaser » Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:24 pm

Kib_Tph wrote:But we do realize that still quite alot of people use other browsers and we strive to make this website compatible with atleast the following browsers:
- IE 4.0+
- Netscape 4.0 +
- Opera 6.0 +
- mozilla 1.0 +

I am running the site in Opera 6.05 for a week now and the only thing
that irritates me is the width of the windows in the forum in 800x600,
I don't like horizontal scrolling....
It's ok on elYsiun. The blender.org forums are based on those forums so it's got to be fixable pretty easy.
Last edited by Debaser on Mon Oct 21, 2002 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Foundation and Websites”