ODE or SOLID ???

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Panther

ODE or SOLID ???

Postby Panther » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:49 am

Does anyone definitavely know which physics library will be used inside Blender 2.27 ( and onwards ) ???

I was looking forward to using ODE, but have just found out that the original SOLID library is now open source ( QPL ).

Hos

Re: ODE or SOLID ???

Postby Hos » Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:55 pm

Panther wrote:Does anyone definitavely know which physics library will be used inside Blender 2.27 ( and onwards ) ???

I was looking forward to using ODE, but have just found out that the original SOLID library is now open source ( QPL ).

My guess is both ... it would probably make sense
to make SOLID/Fuzzics a selectable choice in the world
settings.

...but don't quote me on this.

Chris

Panther

Postby Panther » Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:02 pm

Hi Hos, thanks for the feedback !!!

On a side note...

How's your new guy getting along, fixing the bugs in ODE ???

Saluk

Postby Saluk » Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:53 pm

Um, these aren't at all the same thing.

ODE is a great open source physics library that includes rudimentary collision detection. It is designed to help projects put great physics into their games, preferably using their own, better, collision detection library.

SOLID is a great soon-to-be collision detection library designed with speed in mind. SOLID doesn't have anything to do directly with physics.

So my guess, is that since no one is working on ODE support wholeheartedly at the moment, is that SOLID will be coded back in as soon as it is open sourced. This would be the easiest, since the blender code is already integrated with an old version of SOLID. Then we can use the regular old blender physics, until someone has the time and energy to finish ODE integration.

ODE and SOLID go hand-in-hand, because ODE's collision detection isn't the best, and SOLID has no physics.

Return to “Interactive 3d”