New option for IPO curves

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

saeZ

New option for IPO curves

Postby saeZ » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:53 am

Hello everyone!

When animating anything in Blender, you'll eventually stumble across this very common problem also found in other 3D packages.

Example:

Place LocRot key on frame 1 and the same key on frame 10. Then adjust LocRot and place a new key on frame 20. The curves between frames 1-10 should be flat but aren't:

I'm thinking of an option that would automatically flatten the curves between two IDENTICAL keys:

It would save lots of time when animating. This should work with all animatable parameters whether you're animating a pulsating light or making lip sync on a character.

What do you think?

Thank you for your time!

saeZ / spooktus.[/b]

saeZ

Postby saeZ » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:46 pm

The way to take the idea even further, would be to implement a new (optional) interpolation method which would treat the curves in a more user-friendly manner.

Current system:

New system (something like this):

I'm not sure what this is called, but I believe they call it Plateau slope orientation in XSI.

saeZ / spooktus.

theeth

Postby theeth » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:49 pm

That can be called Overshooting awareness and was presented in a siggraph papers on boids (behavioral animation). I'll see if I can find a link, I just have a printed version.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

levon

Postby levon » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:32 pm

for the first one, trying to get a stright line, in edit mode of the ipo select the handles and press V

zygom

Postby zygom » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:05 pm

It would be very good if it is possible to select interpolation mode (constant,linear and bezier) for EACH keyframe
like afterfx

z3r0_d

Postby z3r0_d » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:05 pm

zygom wrote:It would be very good if it is possible to select interpolation mode (constant,linear and bezier) for EACH keyframe
like afterfx

you select them, and press the corresponding key type shortcut

some are:
v
h
shift+h

I'd search in the docs for more info, but I need to eat brekfeast soon to leave on time.

personally, I would prefer that I could set all new ipo keys to be created as vector [straight line] keys

theeth

Postby theeth » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:35 pm

z3r0_d wrote:personally, I would prefer that I could set all new ipo keys to be created as vector [straight line] keys

Just change the interpolation type to Linear (Tkey).

That's actually what zygom is asking for. Interpolation types between keys, not globally for the curve. While you can always do linear with bezier interpolation, you can't do constant.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.

- John Lennon

Return to “Animation”