Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Theme: how to get blender compiled

ton

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:37 pm
News & chat seems to have only one topic! And we closely watch the results here as well.

From all contributions some really good HOWTO should be extracted for the most important question of all: how to get that thing compiled!

Hans is still working on putting all NaN stuff in CVS and tarballs. As most people now can see, the structure is not common for open source projects, but reflects our internal usage, especially for cross platform coding in a company.

So the second work to be done is review the internal makefile/projectfile structure, and reorganize that somewhat. Without the NaN naming stuff in it. In a way that works at all platforms too... volunteers for that job?

-Ton-

(PS: nice site! Thanks Xype & Kib_Tph for the hard work)

Last edited by ton on Sat Nov 02, 2002 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

hawksmoor

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:07 am
sorry that i couldn't help you in reviewing the makefiles, in fact i can hardly read a line of code written in python but just because i got a book to learn it in my very little spare time, but i wish i could really. but i loooove your work and if it will take me some days to compile the beast on my imac, so be it. Or i'll wait for binaries.... Keep up the good work p.s. i really like the UI, despite what some others think, anyway.

jochym

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:44 am
I did build it. I'm working now on the build script to let others start hacking.
The binaries (working for debian - sid) are at http://rozeta.com.pl/blender/bin
I'll post there my tree too. Some more info in Compiling HOWTO threed.

P.

Humphrey

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:11 am
Sweeet!!!

Keep working on it... I just wish that I didn't have to download a 200mb developers package for OS X

Humphrey

Sonarman

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:10 am
Nope, the developer tools should be on a separate CD in the Mac OS X box Very Happy

seanfuller

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:36 am
I've starting trying to compile blender. I worked through some problems and now I can't seem to find blenkey.h. I guess I could fake it.

Anyway, I really think autoconf and automake could be used to make it much easier to build. It is very common for open source projects. I assume Ton or somebody is working on it and just wanted to get the source out so we could start assimilating it.

autoconf is at www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/autoconf.html
automake is at www.gnu.org/software/automake/automake.html

They are pretty easy to use for a new project. They take some work if you are modifying an existing project to use them.

I think I'll spend some time just looking at the code organization and data structures and get ready for the next stage.

Thanks so much for such a wonderful program. I look forward to contributing.

DanSellers2

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:48 am
Thanks Ton for the good words of encouragement. Im currently going through and trying to write code for what i can for collision detection and commenting the code that i can make sense of. The dutch is well..... screwing me over hard. Mad So ill try and get this working asap and have a build I hope!
Rolling Eyes
Danny

byped

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:48 am
I'm a fairly inexperienced programmer who would like to contribute to blender, and I don't think I'm the only one. Once the build issues are resolved, would it make sense to flesh out some developer-level documentation so those of us not already familiar with the blender code, python, dutch, or whatever can help out?

js

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:57 am
I feel that Blender a program made to be use by graphists is beginning a program used by programmer . Is it wrong ? The presentation of Blender 2.25's sources should be done after the one of Blender 2.25's binary . But that one doesn't exist . Mad
It isn't logic . Evil or Very Mad

Obliterous

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:00 am
Twisted Evil
I'm not much of one for building a project from scratch, nor am I any good at porting, but once I get My hands on a functional codebase, I will mod the hell out of it...

Put together a source tree that will compile and produce WORKING bin's and I'll start adding new features.....

--Comments? We dont need no steenking comments!

Eric

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:03 pm
js wrote:
I feel that Blender a program made to be use by graphists is beginning a program used by programmer . Is it wrong ? The presentation of Blender 2.25's sources should be done after the one of Blender 2.25's binary . But that one doesn't exist . Mad

One cannot make binaries without the source Very Happy

VelikM

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:40 am
Eric wrote:
js wrote:

One cannot make binaries without the source Very Happy

It's being worked on. http://www.elysiun.com/viewtopic.php?t=6125 there is a 2.25publisher compiled.

lesly

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:36 am
I love blender with all me heart, and even though i am an artist first, I would gladly learn some programming if that can help contribute to the development of Blender.

I think we have to be in this together. This is a community right? Working together to make Blender KING of the 3d world......Maya,Max,Softimage and Lightwave better watch out!!!

Thanks in advance to all the programmers who will contribute to this most ass-kickin 3d package ever.Go!!! Go!!! Go!!!!

About time a proper open source 3d package is here.

LONG LIVE BLENDER!!!

js

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:15 pm
I always think that a executable version should be available in the same time than 2.25's sources .
Mad

MrMunkily

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:26 pm
the reason they can't just give us the whole 2.25 thing compiled is that there are proprietary bits and peices that aren't the property of NaN holding. otherwise, I'm sure it would have been distributed.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: