Weird Stretching of models

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Blackswan

Postby Blackswan » Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:14 pm

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone could help me on this problem. Some of my models when exported to other 3D programs show a kind of stretching or distortion. As an example, I made a Castle tower Cylindrical in shape. Everything looks fine in both the edit mode and out of the edit mode. So I save this as a dxf format. Then I load this model into a program called 'CROSSROADS', which is a Model conversion utility, and convert to 3DS or Wavefront .Obj. There I can see a weird stretching of the inner Vertices that forms a cone shape within the model. This cone shape seems to reference a center 'somewhere'. This stretching happens when I try to make archways; the stretching angles from the top of the arch. Can Anyone explain why this happens? Many thanks to you all!

wavk

Postby wavk » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:09 pm

Try selecting the model that streches, press Ctrl+A to apply size/rot. See if the problem is still there.

Blackswan

Postby Blackswan » Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:36 pm

Here is an example of what I am describinghttp://www.geocities.com/albanvs2/art.html

Jamesk

Postby Jamesk » Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:40 am

My guess is that something goes wrong when you save to DXF from Blender. Try any of the following to see if it helps.

1. Triangulate your model before exporting. Go into editmode, select all verts, press CTRL+T and tab out of editmode.

2. Try exporting a VRML instead of DXF. Then convert in Crossroads just as you did before.

3. Try converting with 3DWIN instead (assuming you run or have access to a windows box). http://www.tb-software.com/download.html

Blackswan

Postby Blackswan » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:35 pm

WOW, that did it Jamesk!! Many thanks!! As per your instructions I first entered the Edit Mode. Then I selected all Vertices by pressing the A KEY. From there I hit CTRL+T to Triangulate. Next I exited the Edit Mode by pressing the TAB key. I then saved as VRML1. The model was then Converted from this format to a Wavefront .obj format. I am repeating your instructions in this order just in case someone else is having this problem. Again, many thanks for your help as well as the link you provided. That looks like a great tool....can't have too many:)!

Take Care!

Thomas Dominick

Jamesk

Postby Jamesk » Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:04 am

Oh... you're welcome!

Return to “Rendering”