GUI not working in XP (may just be me though)

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

blacktarantula

GUI not working in XP (may just be me though)

Postby blacktarantula » Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:28 pm

Well unfortunately I can't get my display of blender right. I have ATI official drivers for an ATI Rage Pro 3d graphics card and Windows XP Corporate, but it seems all icons are black so I can't see what I'm doing. It worked before but the latest version doesn't and changing the compatibility options in XP don't change anything :? ... I have a screenshot and if its useful I'll put it online on my website (which isn't actually about Blender but has 100 meg space none-the-less ...

If you can help I'd be most grateful and well done for getting it free!!!

Thanks

ASH
Da BLack Tarantula

Pablosbrain

Postby Pablosbrain » Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:41 pm

I know with my new ATI 9700pro I have to have the AntiAliasing and Bilinear Filtering turned to "Application Preference" on the open gl tab of my driver settings for blender buttons and menus to show up properly. check any settings like that...

blacktarantula

RE:

Postby blacktarantula » Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:12 pm

Well since I can't afford (and don't yet need in most cases) another computer I have an old RAGE PRO TURBO AGP 2X on this one and since I never change anything setting I can't find where options like you said are..... :(

Any help you can give?

Thanks

ASH

Pablosbrain

Postby Pablosbrain » Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:18 pm

Another setting to try is to switch back and forth from 16bit/24bit/32bit color settings and see if one of those helps... I know some have mentioned over at elYsiun.com that the color depth affects blender.

blacktarantula

still can't

Postby blacktarantula » Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:45 pm

I used to think I was good at PC's (which Iam compared to most people that I know) but I can't even find the damned options to get this to work!!!

:cry:

Its really annoying though I know there must be an easy way - I just can't find the options!

ASH

Eric

Re: still can't

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:54 pm

blacktarantula wrote:I used to think I was good at PC's (which Iam compared to most people that I know) but I can't even find the damned options to get this to work!!!

I'm sorry to dissapoint you but I wouldn't call it PC-knowledge to know where to look in the windows gui. You won't learn in any way how peecee's work by fiddling in a gui, and especially not windows.

blacktarantula

Postby blacktarantula » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:00 pm

you obviously don't know what I am talking about - I AM GOOD AT COMPUTING. I CAN USE BLENDER.

I CANNOT FIND A NON-EXISTANT FUNCTION ON XP.

I've been using PC's since before people even knew windows and know how to do a lot, maybe not as much as those anoraks but who gives a ?

All I am saying is I found a problem and would like some help being willing to take feedback (unlike some who spend their time disrupting valid posts)

I'm sorry to dissapoint you but I wouldn't call it PC-knowledge to know where to look in the windows gui. You won't learn in any way how peecee's work by fiddling in a gui, and especially not windows.

blacktarantula

Postby blacktarantula » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:02 pm

Also changing from 32 to 16 etc doesn't seem to change it, pablosbrain

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:43 pm

blacktarantula wrote:you obviously don't know what I am talking about - I AM GOOD AT COMPUTING. I CAN USE BLENDER.

I CANNOT FIND A NON-EXISTANT FUNCTION ON XP.

I've been using PC's since before people even knew windows and know how to do a lot, maybe not as much as those anoraks but who gives a ?

All I am saying is I found a problem and would like some help being willing to take feedback (unlike some who spend their time disrupting valid posts)

I'm sorry. I'm just not in the right mood of being myself right now.

Pablosbrain

Postby Pablosbrain » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:53 pm

Right click on your desktop and choose "properties" from the small options popup that displays. Then under the "settings" tab there should be a color depth or colors setting.. Try changing that back to 16bit from 32 or viceversa....

blacktarantula

Postby blacktarantula » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:57 pm

hmm///

anyway back to the matter at hand:

does anyone have anything valid that they can help me and anyone else with this problem with and also is it known whether who is left to update blender creator whether this ^bug^ (so to speak) will be fixed in the newest release 2.2x and when?

Thanks

ASH
Da BLack Tarantula

blacktarantula

Postby blacktarantula » Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:52 pm

I did try the settings there before you -explained- as I know where they are :wink: and they made no difference, neither the [depth] nor the resolution nor any other setting I could find, also nothing in the compatibility window in properties for blender worked to help....

:cry:

Pablosbrain

Postby Pablosbrain » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:28 pm

Those are all the suggestions I can think off... you might try searching through the forum at elYsiun.com for more suggestions.. I know others have have this problem before.
Sorry it didn't help.

blacktarantula

Postby blacktarantula » Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:57 pm

Thats OK, I can kinda use it but can't do anything much than what I know by heart - no extra bits and pieces then :wink: but I just got a dreamcast (long story) so that'll be taking over blender's spot for awhile, probably only until next week....I did try elYsiun's forum but it didn't work :? but I'll try again another time. Thanks anyway

browman

Postby browman » Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:26 pm

I had a similar problem on my machine at work, as soon as I rolled over a panel, all the buttons would go blank until I rolled over them again. It was a video driver issue in the end.

That was running XP (although same problem on 2K as well). It was a Dell machine with a 'Dell'ified Diamond Viper V770, so nothing particularly special.

In XP i found the troubleshooting tab on Control Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced did the trick, no reboots required or anything. I just needed to turn it down to one step up from the "No accelleration setting". Unfortunately, with no acceleration, things can get very sluggish with all but the simplest scenes, but it's liveable.

I wasn't being hard enough on it before, and it took me ages to accept that I needed to turn it down that much.

Other than that, ensure you have the latest video drivers.

Return to “Interface & Tools”