New tool: vertex group assignment via envelopes (released!)

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jox

Postby jox » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:21 pm

LetterRip wrote:I recently posted a much simpler script for mirroring vertex groups, see the blender scripts list.

http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/b ... 00020.html

Nice! Already quite helpfull. Can save you half the work you'd normally need.

LetterRip wrote:Something that it does, which your script doesn't appear to do was mirror individual weights on a per vertex basis.

Yes, but you have full control over the vertices with the envelpes. Do you think it would still be useful to have this feature?

LetterRip wrote:Also there is a tool for blending between vertex weights for two bones at elysius, you might want to incorporate that idea as well.

I have seen this but not tried yet. This could be one approach. The other I'm thinking of is controlling the belending via the envelopes.

blendman wrote:- Are the envelop created by ourself (by hand), or are they an "automatic" creation (created by the bones, or the armature perhap's, or in a mesh (like in the makehuman script (mesh model))?
that will be cool, if that will be an automatic or/and "by hand" creation of envelopp icon_wink.gif

Nice idea, I will meditate about it! :) Currently the envelopes are created by hand, but mirrored with Envelope Symmetry.

blendman wrote:- If automatic, could we edit the "envelop" mesh (if it 's a mesh) ? this could be great too, with "fat" character for example.

Yes they are meshes and can be edited freely. There's only two things to take care about: 1. they need to be convex (not concave) 2. all (quad-) faces have to be flat or they need to be converted to triangles.

blendman wrote: If automatic, could we ad some part of envelop (like : 3 hand, 4 foots, 3 legs, a big arm with 4 articulations...)

I don't know if I really get what you mean. :) But unlimited envelopes (with different weights) can be attached to each bone.

LetterRip

Postby LetterRip » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:34 am

I've never actually set up armatures, bone weights, etc. for myself. I'm pretty much purely a coder, so it is difficult for me to evaluate the usefulness of such things.

You might want to see about getting your script into CVS, it always amazes me how little a script is used unless it is actually bundled with blender, even though it would save the end user a ton of work.

Also, for OS X users there isn't really an intuitive way to put scripts into the scripts folder. (It is doable, but requires knowledge of an experienced unix user, not an artist).

LetterRip

Money_YaY!

Postby Money_YaY! » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:34 pm

LetterRip wrote:
Also, for OS X users there isn't really an intuitive way to put scripts into the scripts folder. (It is doable, but requires knowledge of an experienced unix user, not an artist).

LetterRip

what do you mean, it is just in the bundle. right click into. Not that hard, but stil;l a weird place to put them

poutsa

Postby poutsa » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:53 pm

I try it and i must say THATS GREAT!Thanks for this Scrypts!

Vassilios Bouker

jox

Postby jox » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:11 pm

LetterRip wrote:You might want to see about getting your script into CVS, it always amazes me how little a script is used unless it is actually bundled with blender, even though it would save the end user a ton of work.

Thanks for the suggestion LetterRip. But how do I actually "see about getting it into CVS"? Is there a specific procedure or do I contact IanWill or somebody else?

@all: I'm thinkin about putting all three tools in one script (and menu entry). There will be a popup menu with the three commands then. And only one configuration as well. Does that make sense? Or would you prefer having 3 menu items in the scripts menu?

@poutsa: glad you like it :)

kitsu

Postby kitsu » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:57 am

To me it would make more sense to create another file rather then merge the existing ones. The new file could be called just EnvelopeSuite.py and you could put the ui code for calling the other modules in there. This would keep the messy ui code seperate from the functionality and would make it nicer from a user standpoint. For ui creation check out the guicreator over at elysiun, it is very slick.

malefico

Postby malefico » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:59 pm

This has great potential. Imagine, adding a bone, and envelopes being generated automagically once the bone is set to Skinnable :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: , all my dreams come true !

jesterKing
Site Admin

Postby jesterKing » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:17 am

jox wrote:Thanks for the suggestion LetterRip. But how do I actually "see about getting it into CVS"? Is there a specific procedure or do I contact IanWill or somebody else?

Subscribe to http://projects.blender.org/mailman/listinfo/bf-scripts-dev and introduce your script there. If you're willing to maintain your own script, you most likely will receive also write access to the CVS. But first go to mailinglist to let the people know you want in :)

/Nathan

dmoc

Postby dmoc » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:10 am

For the dumb among us, ie, me, could someone state what problem envelopes solve and/or what advantage they provide? Maybe I'm confused because of "envelope" usage in lw.

poutsa

Body Blend in Blender

Postby poutsa » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:34 pm

LetterRip

Postby LetterRip » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:20 pm

I'm doing a developers digest and remembered this script, if you haven't yet submitted it for CVS, I would encourage you to do so, the next release is quickly approaching and this would be nice to have bundled.

LetterRip

oin

Postby oin » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:34 pm

hey

he rarely reads the forums (*any* kind or shape of forum)

I've emailed him as I highly doubt he'd read these forums. I suspect he posted the stuff for people get noticed, and that's all ;)

So I have emailed him, but also...he may take his time till he notice he has mail...or he may notice tomorrow, we never know... ;)

I hope he sees it tonight or tomorrow...

if no life sign, is just he some day will encounter the bottle thrown to the ocean and reply...hehe

Sorry, I'm in good sense of humour today.

No seriously, he is one of those that likes to reply kindly, is just he has to remember to check :D

jox

Postby jox » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:41 pm

Thanks a lot LetterRip and oin!

I have received a topic reply notification from this forum. But it's true, right now I don't visit the blender forums too often.

I have subscribed to the bf-scrips-dev list and sent a mail introducing the Envelope Suite there (two days ago). Unfortunately it's still stuck in the "moderator approval queue". First I thought it's because I forgot to confirm my subscription, so I sent it again after I have done it. But I still got a mail saying it's in that queue. Now I'm waiting for a moderator to approve it. I hope it will not be to late then. The bf-scrips-dev list doesn't seem to have a lot of posts, so maybe the moderator(s) don't check it very frequently.

Return to “Animation”