Help with rendering...

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

squidcoder

Help with rendering...

Postby squidcoder » Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:04 pm

I am new to Blender and working through some tutorials - so far its going good. But for some reason I am having a problem rendering. When I hit F12 it scans through the camera view and only renders the objects while it is scanning. When the linescanning is done, the view goes back to the normal camera view. The rendered image is not staying visible. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

BSfire

Postby BSfire » Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:30 am

If in the render tools box at the bottom of the screen you have it set to 'Dispview' (Bottom left) then the program renders in the current view, from the camra. Change this to 'Dispwin'. Then Blender creates a new window. Also, press animate to save the pics. These will be saved to the directory on the top left, usually //render/. Be warned, four rows down from the animate button is the start and end frames, you probally don't want 250 jpeg images...

:D :D :D

B

Dani

Postby Dani » Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:56 pm

You don't need to use animate to save pics.

Just F12-render your pic, F3... choose your directory and a name, then save.
You know how to choose the file format? Look in the rendering panel (F10) at the bottom right hand corner... make your choice :)
(you can even choose to have RGB, RGBA, or B/W saved to your images)

Dani

squidcoder

Postby squidcoder » Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:13 pm

Great, thanks for the help. It was staring me right in the face.... :oops:

Anton

Help with radiosity rendering

Postby Anton » Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:07 pm

Since this is my first forum post, I would like to express my joy over the way Blender is progressing, functionally and socially :)

(I need help with rendering too, so I hope noone minds I borrow the thread :wink:)

I am relatively new to Blender as well, and started creating very simple tests to see how Radiosity rendering works (using 2.25, on Win2k and WinXP). Initial "lightbulb in a cubic room with a table" worked fine, so I moved on to more complexity in a scene, and created another one "a fireplace with a circle of small rocks and a ground" - which looked good too. Then I added a basic person (big sphere, small sphere on top, two cylinders for legs), and my "ground" and the "fireplace cone" dissapeared completely from the final render. While it was calcing everything was good, it just seems these polygons are not shown when I press F12. I started experimenting, and as I added new objects, more of the picture dissapeared, and as I removed objects, more would be shown (so, everything was fine after I took a head and a leg away, I think).

I also thought that maybe I do not have some radiosity settings high enough, so I put all the "maxs" to max and all the "mins" to min in Radiosity screen. Calculation took much much longer, and the result was different (smaller pieces were missing) - yet still faulty.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? I can post my sample scene here (I need to bring it from home on a disk), so one can play with it... Let me know, please.

Thanks in advance.

PS This "compiled win32 binary" in the downloads - do I need to replace the one that comes with 2.25 install with this one? What does it fix?

Anton

Postby Anton » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:02 pm

Thanks everyone, I got this (temporarily?) resolved looking at elysium forums. Sorry for posting this question here, apparently this is not quite the place for newbie qs :)

(I got this fixed by joining objects with the same material - it seems like radiosity creates new materials for each object, and there cannot be more than 16 materials total - so the extra ones are not shown. I wonder if it would be possible to get rid of this magic "16" in the future - what if I need more? So far it has worked, and my scene rendered fine.)

Any comments on the separate 2.25 exe which is available for d/l? Should I get it and replace the one that is installed by default?

Return to “Rendering”