Dual Processor

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

arnaudz

Dual Processor

Postby arnaudz » Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:24 am

Does anybody know if Blender work with a dual processor system.
Because I'm going to upgrade my system
Thank

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:14 am

Yes it works, however the main blender program itself doesn't take advantage of the two processors. You can, however lauch two instances of the program and render in the background on one of the CPUs for example.

Please be more careful in where you post your questions. Elysiun.com is much more suited to Q&A about how to use Blender and troubleshooting it - blender.org is meant for blender development discussion. In any case, that question doesn't belong in this 'Interface' forum either. Just a heads-up, cheers.

dreamerv3

Postby dreamerv3 » Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:51 pm

Hmmm, with the way graphics libraries are evolving I have to ask, "Why you would go to a dual setup?"
It's not a credible argument anymore that people say "for rendering speed" the graphics card vendors have taken over rendering and placed that load on the GPU.

If you need parallel computing power render slves over a network are a much more efficient use of your resources.

Maybe Blender will be designed with SMP in mind in Blender 3 but maybe not.

If all you want is fast rendering then programmable shading will serve up that bowl nice and fresh.
If you're trying to do Photorealistic Movie type CGI then please excuse my reply.

green

Postby green » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:33 pm

dreamerv3 wrote:Hmmm, with the way graphics libraries are evolving I have to ask, "Why you would go to a dual setup?"
It's not a credible argument anymore that people say "for rendering speed" the graphics card vendors have taken over rendering and placed that load on the GPU.

If you need parallel computing power render slves over a network are a much more efficient use of your resources.

Maybe Blender will be designed with SMP in mind in Blender 3 but maybe not.

If all you want is fast rendering then programmable shading will serve up that bowl nice and fresh.
If you're trying to do Photorealistic Movie type CGI then please excuse my reply.

*cough* bullshit *cough*

rendering is done by the cpu. no gfx card involved

alltaken

Postby alltaken » Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:57 am

that is what i was thinking graphics cards don't do crap for rendering even though you would think that they would.

CPU all the way baby.
and dual machines are very useful to have somthing rendering in the background as you can still use your computer to do all the other stuff without it crashing or freezing (also the long waits while it gets its shit together are gone)

phrangkk

Postby phrangkk » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:00 pm

try rendering with hardware acceleration for your graphics card turned off
and tell me how little it help! :lol: :!:

Pablosbrain

Postby Pablosbrain » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:09 pm

except for realtime game rendering your graphics card does not affect rendering times. Rendering images and animations outside of the game engine is completely a processor function.

Return to “Interface & Tools”