Curve Deform

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

hello

Curve Deform

Postby hello » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:16 am

The curve deform looks like it could be a pretty neat feature, but it lacks some pieces that it should have.

1. It only allows you to control an entire mesh with one curve, even within the same object.
2. There needs to be some way of parenting both a curve deform and an armature skeleton to the same mesh.
3. There should be a way to define what vertices of the mesh are deformed by the curve.

Right now, the only way to use the curve deforms on any model that needs more controls than just a curve, is to use hooks on the mesh, then vertex-parent the hook empties to another mesh that can't be seen, and put a curve deform on that mesh. It gets pretty complex and cluttered, and may not even work correctly.

I think the curve deforms are a good idea, but just need to be expanded a little :) .

joeri

Postby joeri » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:39 pm

"expand it a little" is blender's middle name.

-edit fixed typo
Last edited by joeri on Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

bmud

Postby bmud » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:53 pm

You know, I hadn't even tried the hook or path deforms yet, but I had no idea that path wasn't assignable to a group of points like a bone. That's unfortunate since I thought it would be the perfect way to animate a tail. Speaking of animating that very tail, the path deform stretches the mesh, doesn't it? If yes, then, add a toggle.. but if no, then.. good job! I'll play with it this afternoon.

Return to “Animation”