A ridiciluously small bugfix in header buttons

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

desaster

A ridiciluously small bugfix in header buttons

Postby desaster » Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:20 am

This fixes a simple offset bug in the view (top/side/front) iconrow, and removes an extra button in the localview iconrow

http://nyarlathotep.dragonlight.fi/cgi- ... f_format=u

This is no big deal for most people, but users lacking numpad (e.g. laptop keyboard) have great trouble choosing the right button when they're wrong

Why is this patch ridiciluous? Well, i spent several hours working on it, trying to find out how the interface stuff works - and the result is just two lines changed! ;)

wavk

Postby wavk » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:13 am

It's the little things that count!

Keep up the good work!

WAVK

andrewblender

Re: A ridiciluously small bugfix in header buttons

Postby andrewblender » Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:39 am

desaster wrote:This fixes a simple offset bug in the view (top/side/front) iconrow, and removes an extra button in the localview iconrow

http://nyarlathotep.dragonlight.fi/cgi- ... f_format=u

This is no big deal for most people, but users lacking numpad (e.g. laptop keyboard) have great trouble choosing the right button when they're wrong

Why is this patch ridiciluous? Well, i spent several hours working on it, trying to find out how the interface stuff works - and the result is just two lines changed! ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

merlin

Postby merlin » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:15 am

I also have this problem, can one access the Left, Back and Bottom views with out these buttons? Also my screen displays X and Z axises in the front view and X and Y axis's in the top view. The USA standards usualy have X being horizontal (right to left) Y being vertical (up and down) and Z being depth (in and out). This is the display in the lower left corner of the screen.
When I use the N-key to display an objects coordinates it locates objects further away from the front view picture plane as being further from 0,0,0 on the Y axis not the Z axis.
Sometimes when I've added an object it places its features that are further away from the front view picture plane on the left side of the side view drawing instead of on the right side which is a "common standard" in the USA. This happened when I was editing a mesh->plane and there was nothing else on the screen. I think in Europe they commonly use a different projection system, but how does this fit in with the over all drawing enviroment?
When I added a cylinder (with nothing else on the screen) the way it displayed on the side and top views was what I am used to with the USA standards. I have quite a good deal of drafting experience so if anyone needs any info on orthographic projection or drafting projection I have it down perty good. I also got alot of this info in art school.
One other thing when I add an object in the front view (say a cube) and press N to get its coordinates it understands the object as being roated 90 degrees, (when all I've done is put it on the screen). I have to add the object in the top view for everything to read 0-0-0 in terms of rotation.

To make a long entry even longer can you tell me how to implement the fix for the header buttons referenced above? I'm very not code savy, do I need to recompile the source code to make this worK? I don't have a clue as to what to do with the code page on your web site. Any chance you can get me through it kind of step by step.

I don't think this patch is ridiculous, I like the opportunity to be exact if I want to be.

Also is there anyway we can get a spell check on this forum, or use a word processor and add the file into the forum from a program that has a spell check?

wavk

Postby wavk » Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:29 am

Hi Merlin,

You have a lot of questions there, here are some of the answers:

Q: I also have this problem, can one access the Left, Back and Bottom views with out these buttons?

A:
Numpad 1 = Front view, Numpad 1 + ctrl = back view
Numpad 3 = Right view, blabla = left view
Numpad 7 = Top view, bla bottom view

About the z axis, just swap the y axis with the z axis in your mind, in a couple of weeks you won't know better ;)

An object is added dependant on the 3d view you have your mouse over. An object is added with the z axis pointing towards you. You can reset the axis system with Object->Apply Size/Rot in the space bar menu.

Yup, you can use a word processor if you want, just copy / paste the text.

I hope you won't be using blender for precision cad work, that's not blender's strongest point. I hope some snapping functionality will be added soon, though.

Dani

Postby Dani » Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:43 am

I hope some snapping functionality will be added soon, though.

...and trimmed nurbs...

:)

Dani

wavk

Postby wavk » Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:59 am

Trimmed NURBS, YES! And when you're at it, add all modeling tools of Rhino! :D

gimp_child

Postby gimp_child » Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:34 pm

Merlin, i know your pain for i too am a proffessional cad user my self.

Snapping options, would siute many CAD operators converting things to 3d as long as they have all working 2d cad drawings imported in blender. I agree with wavk that cad work is definatly not best done with blender at the moment, at least until someone gets snap features to it.

Next to more undo's this is probably my most wanted feature for blender. ;)

merlin

Postby merlin » Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:04 am

Wavk and people, thanks for the feedback.

Wavk I wouldn't be using Blender for any cad work at all. But sometimes I like to be artisticly exact, say if I want objects to be perfectly centered or something.
Symmetry and balance have their place in art when one chooses to apply them. It would be nice to place a point on one object exactly on a point of another object. A snap function really would support a number of ideas.

Undo would be great too. I once created an illogical object when I snaped the center point of the top of a cylinder to the cursor which was located below, to the left and behind the front plane of the cylinder. Everything in the drawing was distroyed and I had to start all over again. I don't know if this really has to do with an undo function but it has to do with something some where so there it is. Also I am a new-bie so it could have well been something I didn't know how to correct, it was weird though.

So Wavk is the Funnyfarm any where near Groningen where my mother is from? She came to Massachusettes, USA in 1947, I think.
And here's the big question, do you do Never-Never Land? Occaisionaly I run into some Dutch people around here and most of them are advid supporters of Never-Never Land! Combined with Liberty and Justice for All we've gotten Daisies, Tulips, Roses and some other kind of Flower all blooming on the same tree, though it might take a minute for some people to adjust to the idea, "I give two minutes for the captian and his brave crew." (I think I've been watching too much Star-Treck, but I always wanted to say that though).

Dank u again.

wavk

Postby wavk » Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:44 am

Hi Merlin!

Yes, I live very close to Groningen, I studied there and am going to live there soon, it's the coolest city in the Netherlands!

Never-Never Land? What's that? You said "do" Never-Never Land, is it a game? Or do you meen the theme park "het land van ooit"?

Any pictures of that tree online ? :D Let me boldly see what no man has ever seen before!

By the way, you probably know this, but pretty much every snapping functionality you can dream of is already possible using the snapping menu (shift+s) and the center cursor button. It's quite laborous though :(

Graag gedaan :)

mavos

Postby mavos » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:06 pm

The Shift-S snap function seems rather strange when you try it for the first time, but it's actually very good when you get to know it. The only thing I miss is the ability to position the 3D cursor at an exact point in space. Kind of like the N-key but applying to the cursor instead of an object. To achieve what I want, the ways things are now, I must first make a temporary object, place it with the N-key and then snap the cursor to that object.

Return to “Interface & Tools”