problem flipping pose with IK constraints

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

kk

problem flipping pose with IK constraints

Postby kk » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:52 am

I'm just starting with blender (2.36) and am experiencing a weird problem with my first character rig. I stripped it down to just the legs, now it looks as follows:
the IK chain for one leg:
- upper leg
- lower leg
- a null bone (is this what you call an 'Empty'?)
- The foot is a separate bone used as the target for an IK constraint set on the null bone

Now, this works nicely, posing both legs and all. I can also "copy current pose" and "paste flipped pose". But it screws up when I try to handle the flipped pose.

Example: I lift the left foot in pose mode. Select all bones. Copy pose, paste flipped pose. Now the right foot is up. Still in pose mode, I select the right foot, and try to move it (GKEY): The foot immediately jumps down the global z axis, stretching the leg downwards instead of lifting it up. Same happens when I insert a keyframe for the flipped pose.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I haven't found any post hinting to a problem with this functionality, so I guess / hope I'm just doing something stupid...

C.R.I.P.S.

Postby C.R.I.P.S. » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:44 pm

Well... Try rotating, not grabing...
1...2...3D

C.R.I.P.S.

Postby C.R.I.P.S. » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:45 pm

Well... Try rotating, not grabing and don't forget to select all the bones(if necessary ... :roll:
1...2...3D

kk

Postby kk » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:46 pm

Turned out, I had to rotate the character around and re-align the bones (ctrl N). Now it works fine :) The required orientation of the armature was actually detailed quite nicely in the manual :oops:

Return to “Animation”