Best Integration with CAD software

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Best Integration with CAD software

Postby ruizvial » Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:39 am

I like very very much if Blender could have real CAD support.

The good idea: There are a free CAD kernel project. Your name is opencascade (see and is open source.

Opencascade is link to python too.

The bad, opencascade is a software without workbench, but blender is a excellent alternative for a industrial design CAD workbench.

Blender as CAD

Postby redcliffe » Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:47 am

I'd personally like to see a frame of reference added to Blender, so you could say create a torus that has a OD 150 millimeters and ID 100 millimeters. If it had some way of doing that, you could use it as a 3D cad program. Thanks,

Postby MacBlender » Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:49 pm

Another thing Blender should have is a 'snap to vertex' feature, with a toggling ability. this would allow people to have greater control over where their verticies are when joining them.

Also a interface for inputting dimentions for things, that way you can work with everything in true scale rather than tryign to work by eye.

Postby toast » Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:05 pm

I agree with MacBlender... It is hard for me to work by eye rather than scale. I am a long time CAD and Rhino user.

Postby z3r0_d » Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:01 am

to MacBlender:

if you wish a vertex to move to the location of another

select the other
shift+s cursor to selection
select the one
shift+s selection to cursur.

Yes, this is tedious, but it works.
I prefer to select the two verticies in question, and scale while holding control to zero.

as far as a way to input the exact coordinates try the nkey

it is annoying as well
(I would like an eazy way to zero out values, and to round them to the nearest unit, and for it to be more forgiving when I move my cursor)

Postby dgebel » Fri May 09, 2003 10:38 pm

MacBlender - excellent suggestion for a Snap To Vertex. I've used that before elsewhere and it REALLY speeds up modelling.
Yes, the existing snap commands will do that, but not as fast. And Fast is Good!

Return to “Interface & Tools”