Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Blender for level editing ?

Bekas

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:24 am
I'm new to Blender but i'm already very impressed with it! I find it hard to believe that it's free! Smile

A small question: Is it useful for creating levels, large interior scenes etc. ? How it compares to the various quake editors for such a task ?

I mean, is it specialized for model editing/animation, or it can be used as easily for level editing ?

Rahu

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:00 am
I would work for level editing if you found an exporter, but the tools that come with a game for editing generally work much better.

Bekas

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:41 am
Thanks for the reply. I'm in the process of creating my own tools, so i don't care about other games/exporters. If Blender is useful for level creation as well, then it must be the answer to my prays Smile

malCanDo

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:50 pm
Hi Bekas,

> Thanks for the reply. I'm in the process of creating my own tools, so i don't care about other games/exporters. If Blender is useful for level creation as well, then it must be the answer to my prays

Blender can indeed be used for creating large game scenes ( I'm working on something to use Blender for this myself ), and the great thing is that you can take the source, and add any features that you require yourself ( hopefully changes that will be able to be fed back into the main version... for level editing, maybe having a visual library drag-and-drop scheme would be cool, or having a dynamic-snap-to-vertex feature ).

Mal

halibut

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:07 pm
It is certainly very capable of creating static meshes for the unreal engine (just export to ASE format). For WHOLE level designs, I think the toolset is perfectly capable, it's just the matter of a perfect exporter (I don't know how open the popular engine level formats are)

-efbie-

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:19 pm
I would not call it "perfect" because the texturing methods in level design are really different from UV maps. it's quite a mix between UV and orco.

and for optimisations the vertice postions should be at multiple of 16 coordinates. this is quite difficult to achieve in blender.

I did a lot of HL/quake level design and i would suggest you to use GTKRadiant. But blender fits perfectly for ingame models Smile

noselasd

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:16 pm
I'd be interrested in this as well. Now, most commercial games do Maya aor 3dsMax.
(And write their own exporter and tools for their engine)
Anyone know of (OpenSource ?) games that uses blender for art in their engine ?

OTO

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:45 pm
Hi

maybe Torque engine or Oggre ( they 've Blender importers)
Check at theyr sites
Bye

kakapo

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:52 am
3d applications like blender (and 3dsmax,...) aren't very suited for doing quake style bsp/csg levels.

more and more 3d engines support arbitrary polygon geometry for levels though because bsp/csg isn't needed anymore today (in fact bsp/csg can be quite counterproductive on modern gpus).

it's much more fun to do non bsp/csg levels and of course blender can be used for that.

kniffo

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:08 pm
I am developing tools and plugins for 3dsmax in my company and I can say that the artists like 3dsmax especially because of its mesh tools.

Personally I think, that Blender already has a lot of tools implemented which make it a good candidate for game editing but maybe the team should look at the features available in 3dsmax and the other packages (even GTKRadiant) to just implement the missed tools and Blender will be used for game geometry editing much more.

I like the idea of adding game related/specific tools by writing Python code. (You can even add user interfaces for your tools which makes them suitable for your artists)
This feature for instance is way better than in 3dsmax where it is painful to create user interfaces by script or (worse) by using C++.

Mohij

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:49 pm
Look at this post, the points 9 - 12 are some ideas that could really enhance blender and make it a good and perfectly usable level editor.

ayqazi

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:57 pm
kakapo wrote:
3d applications like blender (and 3dsmax,...) aren't very suited for doing quake style bsp/csg levels.

more and more 3d engines support arbitrary polygon geometry for levels though because bsp/csg isn't needed anymore today (in fact bsp/csg can be quite counterproductive on modern gpus).

it's much more fun to do non bsp/csg levels and of course blender can be used for that.

Could elaborate on that please? Why is is counterproductive? I realise this topic's a bit old, but still...

Funny what knowledge you just pick up while doing some random browsing....

z3r0_d

Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:22 pm
the benefits of BSP were that you could draw the level geometry from front to back without drawing any pixels twice...

of course, that was only if you could calculate the bsp tree fully... which might not have even been possible for doom. It's certainly not trivial in 3d

well anway, a bsp tree ends up finding a collection of faces to be drawn that varies wildly on each frame. Current graphics hardware is more than capable of dealing with the overdraw and extra transforms requred if you send more polys [but as a triangle strip or index buffer] than older cards were. Because the cache is better utilized and you can have the buffers be static on the graphics card you are likely to see better performance without a pure bsp approach. [at the very least you will spend little or no cpu time randomly jumping through memory searching in a bsp tree]

that said, the CSG tools are VERY useful [in some situations], and CSG is much easier with a bsp [but from the ui point of view having a bsp tree doesn't matter].

Jump to: