As I know almost nothing about Blender, I can't help create this faq,.. however, here's a few questions I have (from a total newcomer's perspective) that may be helpflul.
- What was the last version of Blender released by NaN?
- Can I still get this version?
- Is this the version that everyone is using?
- What does "Blender Publisher 2.25" mean?
- Why do the source downloads call it "2.25b"?
- What's the history of Blender? Was it always free as in beer?
- Is there a new buildable version now available since the sources were opened? Is it difficult to get it to build on Linux?
- Should I buy that No Starch Press book "The Blender Book" or is it out of date?
- Why is there a 2nd site called blender3d.org?
- What is elysiun.com? What are some other blender links I should know about?
Of course, what Blender exactly *is* should be right up on the front page.
If any non-programmer wanted to help, this might be a great way: collect questions like these from the forums (and their answers, sometimes seeking out the experts when required) and create a simple html file to send to the web administrator(s). It would, of course, require some small amount of regular maintenance.
A lot of this information has been restored, and will be put at www.blender3d.org
Have a preview here: http://oldsite.blender3d.org
But, collecting a FAQ is a good idea.