multiple textures on one object?

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Clawz

multiple textures on one object?

Postby Clawz » Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:12 pm

HI, I just began to use Blender a few days ago, great program btw. and i'm wondering if I can add more than one texture to, say, a cube - so that it has a different texture for each side.

The alternative, to seperate an object in to multiple objects is a bit confusing for me when my spaceship consists of over 20 objects.

i hope theres a solution to this problem....

thanx!

talion

Postby talion » Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:21 am

Make sure you're in edit mode. Select all the vertices that make up the faces that you want to add a new material for. Go to editbuttons and find the Button that says # Mat: #, where # is probably 0 or 1 right now. Click new to create a new material index for the object. Go to Materialbuttons (F5) and add a new material. Now, your mesh should have two different materials.

For each object, there can be more than on material. They are numbered starting from 1. You can change the current material of an object by dragging the # Mat:# button left/right. You can select a group of vertices and either click 'new' to give them their own material index or you click 'assign' to give them the current material that you selected.

Clawz

Postby Clawz » Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:10 pm

okay, thanx, i will try that.

Clawz

Postby Clawz » Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:47 pm

Okay - to follow up on my first post, i'll ask another question: if i have a plane consisting of eg. 9 squares, is there an easy way to assign the texture to each (face?) square - textures easily get distorted when a big plane gets a small texture.

maybe im just lazy - but it seems a tedious task to select 4 vertices at a time when planes or other objects gets bigger and bigger.

Thanx again for a great program, its taking up all my sparetime now ;)

Caronte

Postby Caronte » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:58 am

Clawz wrote:...is there an easy way to assign the texture to each (face?)...

You can (out of edit mode) press F key (face mode) and select the faces you want, then enter edit mode and you can see all the vertex for this faces selected.

P.S: Is better if you make questions like this on the elysiun forum ( www.elysiun.com ).
This forum is mainly for development.
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

Clawz

Postby Clawz » Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:27 pm

okay thanx once again. And i'll take my questions to elysium instead ;)

Return to “Rendering”