What happened to the Big animation rewrite ?

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Money_YaY!

What happened to the Big animation rewrite ?

Postby Money_YaY! » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:03 pm

I Saw so much hype for the new Animation rewrite for armatures and such.. But here we are much later in the cvs builds and nothing has surfaced for armatures ....

Sure there is the new Widget thing and the softbodies but those are just candy, useful candy but still just candy. What about the true solid 'move a character' tools? Like we have a almost very good system right now but it does get really slow to fast and could be redesigned to work flow faster without any changes to it's under lining code.

levon

Postby levon » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:25 am

its been posponed a few versions

Money_YaY!

Postby Money_YaY! » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:45 am

levon wrote:its been posponed a few versions

Bleh, a few versions.... What good will that do ?

levon

Postby levon » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:05 am

it will mean that it is not rushed, there would be nothing worse then it being implimented and missing some core features or not work properly. the transform recode and the dependincy graph were also coded first, and they will help with the animation recoding.

quit bitching :P

harkyman

Postby harkyman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:14 pm

With the other stuff going on that's so big, internal recodes and softbodies, Ton felt that the character animation tools were too complex and mixed up to divide his attention and still make something good.

I'm sort of depressed about it's being pushed back, as I have two big projects sitting around, waiting for it. But, oh well. I tried my best to do it myself, and then to move others to do it when I wasn't able, so I can't complain.

Money_YaY!

Postby Money_YaY! » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:30 pm

well some really still use the tools that we have now for pro work. I think it is very short sighted to make such claims of improvement and then just dash them off to months later work...

At thee very least try and make a dent in the project thann to do nothing at all. Who knows then if this will happen at all this year if it can just be kicked back so far...

theeth

Postby theeth » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:31 pm

Money_YaY! wrote:I think it is very short sighted to make such claims of improvement and then just dash them off to months later work...

Strong words coming from someone with zero experience of software development and development project management.

It was either to postpone the armature refactor (which is a massive amount of work) to a later version, concentrating on the current refactors to ensure quality and stability or postpone the release even further than it already has. Take you pick (won't change anything, mind you, the decision is already taken).

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

lukep

Postby lukep » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:27 pm

Money_YaY! wrote:well some really still use the tools that we have now for pro work. I think it is very short sighted to make such claims of improvement and then just dash them off to months later work...

At thee very least try and make a dent in the project thann to do nothing at all. Who knows then if this will happen at all this year if it can just be kicked back so far...

It was never claimed that the whole thing would be in 2.37, even if some work was planned.

Actually all main coders are very very busy working on the foundation blocks for this. You can say they are working for preparing the animation rewrite.

Simply the work to do is huge, and much more than 1st estimation gave, and if we certainly hoped to do more sooner, there is no way to speed up things

Return to “Animation”