Direct import of DEM data.

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

VelikM
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:18 am

Direct import of DEM data.

Postby VelikM » Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:46 am

How about adding the ability to import USGS DEM files, to make real terrain. The files contain all of the information needed to construct meshs of actual maps.

Jamesk
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:15 am
Location: Sweden

Postby Jamesk » Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:08 am

That wouldn't be harder than any other import... Do you know somewhere one could get hold of the file format specs and some example files?

VelikM
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:18 am

Postby VelikM » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:55 am

Jamesk wrote:That wouldn't be harder than any other import... Do you know somewhere one could get hold of the file format specs and some example files?


USGS DEM data downloads and file format information:
http://edc.usgs.gov/glis/hyper/guide/1_ ... tates.html
http://rockyweb.cr.usgs.gov/nmpstds/demstds.html

Jamesk
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:15 am
Location: Sweden

Postby Jamesk » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:09 am

Looks OK. Could be pretty cool having support for that. I'm in the middle of another project right now, but I'll definately look into it later on.

Edit: The only problem might be the 64K vertex limit for Blender objects. I have a feeling that stuff like this may end up incredibly huge if you want some decent precision... We'll see what happens.

VelikM
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:18 am

Postby VelikM » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:41 pm

Any mesh that was generated directly from a DEM file would have to be broken into several parts, or more likely slices to work, DEM files have a lot of data.

Jamesk
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:15 am
Location: Sweden

Postby Jamesk » Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:11 pm

VelikM wrote:Any mesh - - - would have to be broken into several - - -slices to work.


I somehow had a feeling along those lines, yes...

VelikM
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:18 am

Postby VelikM » Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:16 am

It may make more sense to import the data to use as a bumpmap instead of trying to make a mesh with it. That would give a different method for making custom bumpmaps.

Jamesk
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:15 am
Location: Sweden

Postby Jamesk » Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:35 am

VelikM wrote:It may make more sense to import the data to use as a bumpmap instead of trying to make a mesh with it.


Ack! No way, José!

Making a bumpmap from that would destroy the whole idea. Until the day Blender has true displacement, it's the mesh way or no way at all. Bumpmaps are only useful for very delicate surface treatment. Things like the elevation profile of Alaska would not fit the 'delicate' category, my friend... :D

VelikM
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:18 am

Postby VelikM » Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:09 am

Jamesk wrote:
VelikM wrote:It may make more sense to import the data to use as a bumpmap instead of trying to make a mesh with it.


Ack! No way, José!

Making a bumpmap from that would destroy the whole idea. Until the day Blender has true displacement, it's the mesh way or no way at all. Bumpmaps are only useful for very delicate surface treatment. Things like the elevation profile of Alaska would not fit the 'delicate' category, my friend... :D


It was just an idea, a bad idea........but. :oops:


Return to “Interface & Tools”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests