Textures - Viewport

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Field-Mouse

Textures - Viewport

Postby Field-Mouse » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:20 pm

Hello!
I guess I´ve got another nooby question for you all :)
Even though I select View->Viewport Shading->Textured, I cant see any textures on my mesh, but they show up when rendered..
I have lighting in my scene..
Im not sure what im doing wrong :s ????

z3r0_d

Postby z3r0_d » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:15 pm

you're not using uv mapping

only textures applied by uv mapping [in face select mode] show up in the 3d view...

for more questions about blender PLEASE ask on the user forum at http://www.blenderartists.org/forum [after searching for the answer of course]

Field-Mouse

Postby Field-Mouse » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:42 pm

:idea: Oh crap! Sorry, I didnt even realise I was in a DEVELOPMENT forum, truly sorry guys..

preacher_mg

Postby preacher_mg » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:04 am

z3r0_d wrote:you're not using uv mapping

only textures applied by uv mapping [in face select mode] show up in the 3d view...

A while ago I talked with a friend of mine who is a brilliant programmer and the subject of the conversation turned to open source and Blender. He asked me what is the single most important issue that I can think of that stopped me from using blender.

I told him about being unable to see textures in object mode, and we discussed the possible reasons for why this wasn't fixed yet. He also said (it was just an offhand remark) that he might be interested in helping out.

I assume there is a very good reason, but I don't know what it is.
Do you (the developers) think a single programmer could possily contribute to his, or would fixing this require changing so much of the underlying architecture of blender as to make it impractical / flat out impossible?
If it's not flat out impossible, how long, do you think, it would take a very good programmer to do it? I may take him at his word and convince him to work on it if it's doable.

z3r0_d

Postby z3r0_d » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:29 pm

yes, I think the "problem" could be fixed

[I don't know enough about blender's architecture to comment on how many people it would take or how hard it would be]

however, the preview that's already in cvs is nearly as good
[shift+p brings up a preview window, you can move and scale it to whatever size you want. as changes are made the view is re-rendered]

malCanDo

Postby malCanDo » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:52 pm

It would be great to see live textures in the Blender viewport - not GE textures, but material textures for rendering.

This is a great timesaver for saving on rendering times to check correct mapping etc, and Blender is the only 3D application I know of that doesn't have this feature.

It is definitely possible, as seen in the GE textured mode - your programmer friend should definitely try to get it working!

As the GE now supports Blender materials directly, this would be a great way of combining the GE textured view with a render textured view.
Mal

Return to “Interface & Tools”