Proposition to NLA

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

raygun11

Proposition to NLA

Postby raygun11 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:24 pm

hello,

I have some suggestions about the NLA editor.

1. I think it would be very useful, if there were three additional, separate channels for translation, rotation and scale (attached to object). This feature would make character animation easier ( you can quickly make an "offset" between translation and rotation keys in NLA , instead of going to IPO ). Something like in the picture.

2. I think that keys should be automatically snapped to frames when moving them in NLA. It can be achieved by pressing CTRL when moving, but for me it should be enabled by default ( less combinations, faster work :) )

And , at least, sorry for my english :)

ZanQdo

Postby ZanQdo » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:18 pm

I think thats a planed feature!, about the automatic snaping I agree, it shoud be shift+drag to move like it does now

joeri

Postby joeri » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:33 am

Hmmm. Nope.
Motion should not be bound to frames. Specialy when rendering with motion blur interframe possitions are very important.

Just take a look at the run cycle of dash in the incredibles.
His 'slow' running is a full walk cycle withing 5 frames. And his fast running 2 full walk cycles in 3 frames. This can only be done with keys inbetween the frames.

raygun11

Postby raygun11 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:58 pm

yes joeri, you are right, but I thought only about moving keys in NLA.
-you are selecting key(s), pressing G, and key(s) are snapped to frames when moving ( default)
or
-you select key, press G, then press CTRL, and keys are not snapped.

I think it is just a thing of changing hotkeys (just small , simple change :) )

harkyman

Postby harkyman » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:18 pm

I find that when I'm working in the Action editor, I almost always use the ctrl-drag combo to snap to frames. When I fine tune, I just move it freely, but my overall time spent probably breaks down to 80% ctrl-drag/20% free drag. Changing the default behavior would certainly remove some keyboard work for my workflow.

Of course, this is why the big guys with lots of $ to spend do interface research: they'd just pay a bunch of folks to use the Action editor for a week and track how they actually used it.

nemyax

Postby nemyax » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:50 pm

raygun11,
What you're describing is actually a dope sheet. But you want to limit dope sheet functionality to SRT channels for some reason. Isn't a full-featured one (with all channels represented) a better idea?

raygun11

Postby raygun11 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:17 pm

nemyax, I mentioned only those features which lack I felt while animating (ohh my english, sorry :)). I was using 3ds max before, maybe this is a reason.
A fully-featured one would be better of course.

bobthevirus

Postby bobthevirus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:02 am

I have to say no way to changing the behaviour of ctrl == snap to the other way around. It is important I think to have consistancy within the application, and most places now use ctrl == snap.

Man, that didn't come out right, but I hope my point is made (-;

Return to “Animation”